Stihl 440Mag vs. 460...

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 78
  • Views 18K
B

Blinky

I have a good 440 magnum and a chance to trade a handgun (Browning Hi-power) for a like new 460. Is the 460 that much more powerful? Is it worth my Hi-power?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's funny, I guess that is kind of ambiguous.

The guy has two Stihl 460s and he'll trade for firearms.

460's are the bees knees, IMO. What kinda guns does he like? Dad ran over a 440 this weekend with the tractor. Needs a new fuel tank, handle bar, and carb/air filter holder oner thing.

I'd say a high power for a like new 460 is a good-flipping good deal for the new owner of the saw.

Between the 361 and a 440 I'd take a 440 for what I do but the 460 is a nice compromise for a single saw. For you I'd look at a 660 but I have little use for a Hi-Power after owning one!

If it's older than 1977 then it's worth a bit more. Upwards of 1000.00, besides it's one of the first pistols I ever carried and used. They still make 460's a guy can find them new and modded for 900.00 and change.

:lol: So he should keep it because it's sentimental to you.

The majority I've seen are $4-600, but it's not a gun I'm overly familiar with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This particular Hi-Power is worth about $500... First gun I carried too. Right now I favor a compact CZ-75, haven't used the HP in awhile.

How big of a bar can a 460 pull?

The 460 is a 79cc saw (I think). It will pull a 28" bar well and you can get by with something slightly longer if necessary.

In comparison, the 440 is a 71cc saw.

The 460 seems to be rated at 76.5cc. 5cc is a noticeable difference over the 440, and if you modded the 460. I think it would pull a 36" bar pretty well. You're also gaining a pound or so in weight.

I take it that it is going to be your largest saw? How often do you need a 28" bar on up? I find myself using a saw with a 24" bar, much more frequently than one with a 28" bar on it. The amount of call for the additional power would seem to be the bottom line on whether it's worth it to jump up in displacement, the trees that you run into. I think the nice feature about the 440 magnum is the relatively light weight. I think that since you already have the 440, I'd be more inclined to jump up to the 660, if looking for a more powerful saw, though the weight jumps up a couple pounds. 90cc is more purposeful that 76cc, a kind of in-between size, imo.

This particular Hi-Power is worth about $500... First gun I carried too. Right now I favor a compact CZ-75, haven't used the HP in awhile.

How big of a bar can a 460 pull?

I run primarily a 20". Although it is my "big" saw, so when it has to, which is rarely, it'll wear a 28" or 32".

My 460 wears a 28" bar, running full chisel full skip chain. I'd not expect to run anything longer than that except in an emergency.

I ran one [044] that Rick brought to the spring Ohio GTG with a 36 on it .Dan Henry had worked it over and to tell the truth it did very well buried in about 38-40 inches of hard wood .

Had I not seen it,let alone ran it I would have never believed it .

I have a 24" bar on my 046. My 660 came with a 42" bar and it hardly ever got used, I bought a 32" bar for it and that has been a year and a half and I haven't needed to put the 42" on yet, and we use the saw a lot more.

Back