Rigguy

sotc

Dormant hero!!
I just got 4 of these today to try out in a small fruitless mulberry. Anytips or advice to make it easier? I messed with it in the shop earlier and it didnt seem uber easy to get the outer strands spread nicely around the wedge.

I've always liked the look of them, but never have had the chance to try them out yet. It didn't cost much to buy them, right?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
15 bucks per each cable end which is a little more expensive than j-lags, pre forms and thimbles. They don't look difficult so that should be more than made up in the installation cost. Also, they can be used where there isn't enough room for standard EHS equipment

They're easy as pie. If you're using EHS you'll want a pair of really good wire cutters in the tree to trim the strands. Some gloves and a hammer will come in handy too. Make sure you put the center cable strand through the little chock thingy.

I've got a good pair of linemans pliers I figured on using. Whatthe hammer for? to help set the wedge?

Yup. Also to help bend the ends of the wires over the cone once it's been set. I haven't installed them myself, but I've talked to a lot of guys who have. I've been told it's a lot easier than splicing an eye or using the u-bolt cable clips to crimp an eye, but not quite as easy as the preformed grips. On the other hand, the grips require a minimum span of several feet, while the Rigguy wire stops don't have a minimum.

That seems better than just bending the center one like the pics show, thanks for that.
I have turned down cable jobs in the past because there was enough room for preforms and i've never done a soft splice. One more opportunity to help folks and make moola8)

Definitely easier than splicing. And like Sean said, the hammer helps to bend the strands around the nut. You don't really have to 'set' the wedge if the cable is tensioned with a grip and come-a-long. You just bend the center strand and when you release the come-a-long the wedge will set.

You're gonna like'em.

I beleive I will, specially with that 3/8 EHS, I hate messing with that

Willie, how'd you end up making out with the install?

I fell in love with Rigguys Thursday, and am considering trying to sell cables again on my own. Absolutely the easiest cabling I've ever done.

We did a four way cable in a big maple, and two other cables at another site. The installation of the item itself was easy as pie. Drill hole, stick cable through, put on big nut, spread cable, insert pie, pull tight, repeat. The part that took the longest was getting tools back and forth to each climber at times, 20' apart. We used a speed line with what we had, and no groundsman either.

If he had a Chicago Grip and a few other odds and ends, it would of been a breeze. But def. a serious money maker.

Another thing,

Anyone have a written disclaimer about Cables they have the customer sign?
i drew this up for a municipal job

11. “The materials and workmanship involved in the cabling system are guaranteed to be free of substantial defects. The Extra High Strength (EHS) cable shall comply with ASTM A475, Standard Specification for Zinc-Coated Steel Wire Strand. The fasteners shall be manufactured of stainless steel to resist corrosion. The design and installation of the system is guaranteed to comply with the ANSI A300 (Part 3) -2006 Standard Practices for Supplemental Support Systems and the 2007 edition of the ISA Best Management Practices for Tree Support. The tree and the support system should be inspected every year.”

For most trees, inspection need not be so very three or five years may be more appropriate. )

goes after this

ASSUMPTIONS AND LIMITING CONDITIONS

1. Any legal description provided to the consultant/appraiser is assumed to be correct. Any titles and ownerships to any property are assumed to be good and marketable. No responsibility is assumed for matters legal in character. Any and all property is appraised or evaluated as though free and clear, under responsible ownership and competent management.

2. It is assumed that any property is not in violation of any applicable codes, ordinances, statutes, or other governmental regulations.

3. Care has been taken to obtain all information from reliable sources. All data has been verified insofar as possible; however, the consultant/appraiser can neither guarantee nor be responsible for the accuracy of information provided by others.

4. The consultant/appraiser shall not be required to give testimony or to attend court by reason of this report unless subsequent contractual arrangements are made, including payment of an additional fee for such services as described in the fee schedule and contract of engagement.

5. Loss or alteration of any part of this part of this report invalidates the entire report.

6. Possession of this report or a copy thereof does not imply right of publication or use for any purpose by any other than the person to whom it is addressed, without the prior express written or verbal consent of the consultant/appraiser.

7. Neither all nor any part of the contents of this report, nor copy thereof, shall be conveyed by anyone, including the client, to the public through advertising, public relations, news, sales or other media, without the prior expressed written or verbal consent of the consultant/appraiser -- particularly as to value conclusions, identity of the consultant/appraiser, or any reference to any professional society or institute or to any initialed designation conferred upon the consultant/appraiser as stated in his qualifications.

8. This report and any values expressed herein represent the opinion of the consultant/appraiser, and the consultant's/ appraiser's fee is in no way contingent upon the reporting of a specified value, a stipulated result, the occurrence of a subsequent event, nor upon any finding to be reported.

9. Sketches, diagrams, graphs, and photographs in this report, being intended as visual aids, are not necessarily to scale and should not be construed as engineering or architectural reports or surveys.

10. Unless expressed otherwise: 1) information contained in this report covers only those items that were examined and reflects the condition of hose items at the time of inspection; and 2) the inspection is limited to visual examination of accessible items without dissection, excavation, probing, climbing, or coring. There is no warranty or guarantee, expressed or implied, that problems or deficiencies of the plants or property in question may not arise in the future.

Cabling portion of the job got post poned till further notification so I am sitting on cabling parts

Back