Dolmar saws

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 4K
F

Frans

A friend just told me he really liked these saws. He said they really have alot of torque and run like Stihls used to before they de-tuned them.

Only problem is that parts are supposedly hard to come by.

What the the general opinion of Dolmar saws?
Should I get one?

Here on the West coast we really dont have the access and support of many brands that the East coast does.

I ran a Dolmar saw for a little while in Hawaii, and was very impressed with it. I don't remember the model number, though. I have never seen a Dolmar/Makita dealer.

So they do. But it's not the same as having a local dealer that carries parts or can service the saws if you're mechanically retarded, like myself.

Here on the West coast we really dont have the access and support of many brands that the East coast does.
Maybe part of the east coast .In this area the only support there is is for Stihl .

Years back when it was Sachs-Dolmar there was one dealer and he was a flake . .

If you're mechanically retarded like Leon and cannot or will not work on your own saws, then by all means stick with brands for which you have a local dealer. If you're comfortable working on your own stuff with no local dealer support, and are comfortable getting your parts online, then by all means the Dolmar 5100 and 7900 are both excellent saws that will perform as well or better than comparable Stihl or Husky pro models and give you many years of reliable service.

Parts availability and mechancical help are a big factor though .

You might have as high as maybe 60 percent of those on this praticular forum that can wrench on saws but the percentage is much lower than that among the general populace .

One reason I might add while Dolmar nor Husqvarna is real popular in these parts .Good saws,no support network .

The distributes in US for HVA and Dolmar need to think again.

I am Dolmar dealer here. We don't get the 5100 that you have, but get 5000 instead.
I sell the 5000 and the 7900 here. Very nice well built saws.
Lots of Power for the cc and they seem to hold together much better than HVA and Stihl.

I like my Dolmars. Who needs parts for stuff that doesn't wear out? Actually getting parts simply requires TIME since they must be ordered..........like every other brand save Stihl in my local area. No biggie. By buying Dolmars and Husqvarnas I can afford back up saws.

I'm not exactly sure what happened when it was Sachs-Dolmar .

From what I gather happen with Husqvarna was they pressured the deals,either Stihl or them ,the dealers went with Stihl and Husky would not take back their parts inventory which of course annoyed them to no end .

That pretty much cooked their goose as far as getting their products out with the exception of the large stores which only handle home owner type saws .

I think maybe that Dolmar in time might make an impact .

If I could pick one saw to run a 16" - 32" it would be the 7900.

Man I miss mine. :cry:

Leon, All I have had to do on my 7900 is clean the air filter and change out worn bars, chains and sprockets.

I'm not exactly sure what happened when it was Sachs-Dolmar .
If you mean the distribution network in US I don't know..

If you mean in general I do..

Sachs bought saws from Dolmar on contract and sold as Sachs-Dolmar.
When they wanted to put the saws in stores, Dolmar said no and the deal ended. Short after Makita bought up Dolmar with brand name factory the whole lot!
Makita wanted saws to sell in their lines and Dolmar fit the bill. However they did not want to sell saws that end up in stores. So a purchase was unavoidable as they were on stock market. Now Makita could get saws, sell them in their lineup as Makita, and Dolmar keep their dealers only...

Leon, All I have had to do on my 7900 is clean the air filter and change out worn bars, chains and sprockets.

Thanks Justin, that sounds well within my level of ineptitude. Bailey's used to list these saws in their catalog, but no more. Any other leads on where to acquire them?

Yeah, the 7900 and 5100s are bad little saws! The 5100 keeps up with the 346xp easily, and the 7900 has more power and less weight than the 460. These saws are supposed to be pretty much ported from the factory.
There were a few initiall reports of oiler problems and lately a few reports of crank bearing problems on the 7900. But it certainly wouldn't discourage me from buying one.
Great saws IMHO.

I used to use a Sachs-Dolmar 116si for firewood....but not often. It was too heavy for me to use for long.

sd_clvs_sm.jpg

The size of a saw as to being heavy is directly related to who is running it .That 116 with lady Che on the end would about like most of us hoisting an 090 .;)

That's kinda interesting to know, Al. It's a good saw...it just felt good....solid, powerful. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it was about on the upper end of what I could handle, not just the weight. Once I got the Shindaiwa though, I never really needed to use it anymore.

Frans, the 7900 is a great saw. I had one (7901 Makita) ran great, loads of torque. Fully out cuts a stock 460. I only had two gripes about the saw before it was taken. 1. They didn't have full wrap handles available till a couple of years ago. 2. the location of the decompression button was in a stupid spot.
Other than that I'd certainly run that size Dolmar again. I like the blue of the Makita.

I've heard nothing but good things about Dolmar. I've been itching to get my hands on a 5100. Only problem has been dealers.

Just checked the dealer locator again, and I found a dealer not too far from me. Must of recently started dealing Dolmar, since last I checked they weren't listed as a Dolmar dealer. Have to swing by there one day and see what it's like.

It will outcut a 460? Awesome. I have a 046 and I have only cleaned the air filter and bars and chains also, until today. The screws that hold on the dogs came loose and the threads are messed up in the bottom one. The mechanic guy is going to take it apart and put a nut on the inside.

That's kinda interesting to know, Al.
Well it only makes sense there is a lot of difference in being 6 feet and 220 pounds verses 5 foot 1 and 120 or less .;)

I mean shucks if I hoisted an 090 around all day it would tucker me out too and I imagine just about anybody else .

As far as Dolmar though I imagine the outcome will be determined by how much inroads they make as far as marketing .From what I hear they are being aggresive in that area .Time will tell .

Back