192T chain??

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey guys, I'm curious on chain combos for the 192T. Right now it runs the .043 or .044 gauge chain, but I'm wondering if I can up it to the .50 gauge all our other climbing saws run. I know I would have to change out the sprocket, but I don't know how the saw would handle pulling the larger gauge chain, at a 14" bar length.

From what I've heard it's a mixed thing somewhat. The dealer says it's not worth it, but from some climbers I've talked too they said there's a little loss of power, but the chains last longer, especially if you hit a nail or some hidden object in the tree.

I use 3/8" .050 Oregon VX on my 200, no complaints.

I think Stihl chain might be better but I hardly ever have to sharpen it anyway unless I use it on the ground and screw up.

I've never even seen a 192 ,they are non existant for tree folks in these parts .

However on my 200 I only kept the 12" with a skinny chain as a leg up when I ran it for time at a GTG . Otherwise it will be ran with a 16" and .050 chain .

I would get the Stihl "micro picco" bar and chain. It cuts way faster on that little saw. The bars have a really narrow tip too, which is nice for bore cuts, etc... A buddy of mine just got a 16" bar and chain of the micro picco for his 200T.

...Laser saw!!

Stihl makes good chain,no arguements there .However that guard chain micro Stihl stuff is slow as a snail compaired to Carlton skinny minnie stuff .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I changed out the sprocket and put the .050 with 14" bar on. I tested it out back on a log we had lying around and it worked fairly well.

Hoping to really see how it really works the next two days.

Well okay ,it might have needed a new sprocket on it any way but it's the bar that has a wider slot when going from .044 skinny to .050 standard 3/8" lo pro ..;)

I would get the Stihl "micro picco" bar and chain. It cuts way faster on that little saw. The bars have a really narrow tip too, which is nice for bore cuts, etc... A buddy of mine just got a 16" bar and chain of the micro picco for his 200T.

...Laser saw!!

I tried that skinny stuff and ended up breaking chains in the cut before they were ever sharpened. Might work ok on a 192 but i'll never put it on a 200 again

I've only owned one of those skinny chains, it's the chain that came on my HT101 pole pruner. The pruner is well over a year old and the original chain has been sharpened about 3 times (it doesn't get much use), but when I eventually have to replace it I'm buying a .050 gauge lightweight bar and putting regular Stihl 63PM chain on it.

Nope, muffler mod is about it Al. It really sucks when your chain comes off and in stuck in the cut when your whacking a large limb off. Groundies don't want to come under to tie on another saw....

I was just messing with you .Actually the skinny 12" bar I have was one of Tom the trees guys old one,bent too .It must have taken me an hour to straighten it out . The couple of forked up chains I got with it had the drivers bent all to kingdom come . I straightened them out and used them just to tune in the saw after I tweeked it .--Then ordered a new chain from Baileys along with the 16" bar and .050 chain .

Long story short,I'd run the .050 chain .:)

Back