used Stihl

• Thread starter Strikermike
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 1K
S

Strikermike

I need a little help pricing some used Stihl saws. Is a 2 year old MS280 worth 300.USD and is 550 USD a good price for a 460 in good condition. I just bought the 280 and check out craig's list and there is a 460 for 550. I wish I could afford both saws.

If they both run well, go sell a job that will pay for one of them and keep them both. You should be able to make that much in a good day. I personally think it's asinine to get rid of income producing tools unless they are defective in some manner.

Strikermike,
300 is probably OK, I think that saw is around 550 or 600 new. 550 may be a little high for the 460 if it has a lot of run time on it. Most people buy a 460 to run it, not let it sit around.
I posted some of this discussion about the difference in design of STIHL saws at the FF forum some time ago, and maybe even here as well but in case you don't have anything better to do but read here is some things to consider when comparing different models.
STIHL makes saws considered for homeowner, or occasional use, farm and ranch or semi-pro, and professional use. They all have the same warranty, one year for homeowner and 90 days pro. I honestly believe they all are well designed and good value if you look at return on investment for run time, performance, and just plain fun and ease of operation. That is of course based on proper care and use.
So you have to decide on a price range and how hard you plan to use it.
The breakdown pretty much goes like this:
MS 170, 180, 210, 230, 250, 192, are light duty use. They have a clamshell or engine pan design, called modular, where the crankshaft is pinched between the cylinder and the engine pan, making the engine module, and everything else bolts to the module. The bar bolts into the plastic tank housing. This makes for ease of manufacturing and keeps cost down, so the price is lower at retail.
The MS 290, 310, 390 are designed the same, but have a heavier crankshaft and are considered more of a mid-range saw. All of these models have an aluminum engine pan, chrome or Nikasil coated cylinder, four open transfer ports, and plenty of plastic holding it all together. The bar 390 has one bolt into the engine pan and the other into the plastic tank / handle housing.
Now lets talk about age: the 1123 series saws (021 to MS 250) were introduced in 1990, as the first modular design lower priced homeowner saw. Next came the 1127 series (029 to MS 390) in 1992. Then the 1130 series (017 to MS 180) came out in 1995. So while a series may stay in production for a long time, STIHL is constantly upgrading and making engineering changes to improve the product and do what has to be done to satisfy the EPA among others. The original 029 was set at 12500 WOT and now a new MS 290 is set to 14000. Lots of changes were made to allow the new models to run leaner and survive. So I guess what I am saying is that these saws are examples of older designs, and while there is nothing wrong with them, newer designs are always coming out that reflect the latest in engineering and material science, so while the new stratified scavenge engines are different, they do run good and give better fuel economy and lower emissions.
The MS 270, 280 are more of a semi-pro model, with a magnesium engine pan and housing holding the crank in, and the bar screwed to that, but still a clamshell design. These saws are a newer design with some more current engineering in them, and are a great performing saw with plenty of power and performance. I really enjoy running this model for bucking firewood.
When you move up to the pro models there is a big difference in design, and they cost more money. The MS 260, the older 034 and 036, the newer MS 360, 361, 440, 460, 441, 660, 880 are all pro models, designed for logging or commercial use. Now you have a split magnesium crankcase, that holds the crank, and both bar studs, in a rigid configuration, with the cylinder held on with four screws, and a plastic tank housing and handle assembly. The pro saws have closed transfer ports. The older models have two ports, the 361 has four. Where this all comes together is that the 361 weighs less than a 390, and has more power with less engine size. It is engineered to a higher level of performance, and is a newer design.
Down the road for repair will also make a difference. I can have the piston in my hand in 5 minutes on a 361. It will take a complete teardown, just about to the last bolt, to get the piston out of a modular design. Will that matter if you only cut a cord or two a year? Probably not. But the labor and parts cost to have the dealer install a new piston and cylinder in a modular saw will usually exceed the value of the saw, even on a 390. But a pro saw it usually will not. And a saw used by a pro may get over a 1000 hours on it in a year. So it is worth the repair.
I have friend that actually cut over 50 cords of wood with an 017, which became the MS 170. He did very little maintenance on it and was more than pleased with the use it gave him, and bought two more.
Check the MS 280 you bought and see if it has the IEM carb on it. You can tell because there will not be a hole for the H screw on the filter cover. I like the Intelligent Engine Management saw. The module has a microprocessor that controls the fuel delivery for the H side of the carb and it really works well. If yours still has a H screw that is OK too, it is just older.
Any questions?
Test later… LOL
Eddie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Eddie,
That is some great info

Back