200t help

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 3K
G

Greenhorn

Yesterday had three mechanical probs. Chipper wouldnt start, half the polesaw stayed in a cut while the other half pulled away, and the last was my 200t was idling really high and acting "lean" for lack of a better term. The thing is really new though, only thing I can think of thats weird is the gas cap is fitting tighter than normal. About to head out to garage to work on stuff, wondering what you guys think that could be on a saw thats almost new????

Thanks as always!

If it hesitates when you squeeze the throttle your low end is lean. Richen the low jet an 1/8 of a turn and see if that addresses you idle speed and performance.

Yes, your new saw is running lean. I just bought a new 200T this week and the first thing I had to do after opening the muffler was remove the limiter cap and richen up the carb. Then after about 2 tanks of fuel it started running lean again so I had to richen it up some more.

The tight fitting gas cap is due to the ethanol in the gas. Higher concentrations of ethanol will also make your saw run lean, so perhaps try a different gas station for your fuel. I stick with a very high volume premium brand gas station and I only buy enough fuel to last about 1-2 weeks. I used to be able to buy 5-10 gallons at a time and be set for a month, but no longer. The fuel goes bad after about 2-3 weeks and my saws start running lean. It will also go bad sitting in the storage tank in the ground, so that's why I stick with a high volume gas station.
government screwing up our fuel. :X

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Starting to make sense....just did a visual inspection and nothing seemed out of sorts in the carb/hose department. I did buy some 87 accidently which it may not like...you guys running 89 or 93? Back of synthetic premix says 89 methinks.

I just buy premium since the mid grade is just a mix of premium and regular anyway. Another 10 cents per gallon costs me a whole extra 50 cents to fill up my mix can. Ohhh, that's like half a can of soda!

And I've been running the Stihl synthetic ($56 per gallon) but I think I'm switching to Amsoil synthetic when this jug runs out. About half as expensive and I haven't found anybody that could say anything bad about the quality of the oil.

I've had almost identical problems... Running lean and also the tight gas cap. I did use a different gas station, so that may be part of the problem. Going to go try the 1/8 turn on the low jet now.

I also had to make adjustments after the first 2-3 tanks of gas on my 200T for the same reason.

The new one Tom bought seemed a tad lean to me when I ran it a tad bit before some SOB stole it .It still had the baffles in it also .I'm not saying it ran badly though .

His plan was to run it the 90 days then do a little work on it .That unfortunately didn't happen .:(

Mind being enhanced a tad of course does not run lean .

Running a saw lean for 90 days for break in makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why the F do these stoopit idiots insist on running their saws lean instead of adjusting the damn things? ESPECIALLY during breakin, when they are creating excess heat anyway? Why do people think this is correct? What on earth possesses people to destroy their saws like that and continue running them lean? Or worse, standing there holding the throttle wide open while the saw screams, hoping it will richen up all on it's own?

I suppose if it were really really lean he would have trotted back to the dealer with it .Don't really know as it was snatched within about two weeks .

When I said lean I more so meant to say not runnng quite up to where I thought it should . I doubt that new shiny thing had 10 hours of actual running time before it was gone .

And I've been running the Stihl synthetic ($56 per gallon) but I think I'm switching to Amsoil synthetic when this jug runs out. About half as expensive and I haven't found anybody that could say anything bad about the quality of the oil.

Dang Brian if I had known I would have picked you up a case or 2.

Not to bend the thread to oil but most likely Amsoil is just fine .I can't hardly see running it or any oil at 100 to 1 ratio though . 40-50 to one or my 32 to 1 it should likely do as good as any other .

I only run Royal Purple in my two strokes, 50:1. I have been nothing but happy with it, I don't see why Amsoil wont work as well.
BUT, do NOT use the Dominator, get the Saber.

Yes Saber Professional. It comes in a variety of packages. Of course the bigger volume (ie package size) the more reasonable it is. Then mix to what you or your saw requires. I mix to 50 to 1 and never had a problem after many years of service.

Fuel

I talked to the bulk fuel hauler(20 plus years). Heres what he said. The premium fuel get it higher octane thru more ethanol being added. There are few pump selling no ethanol fuel. And they advertise this. Get a ethanol test kit and see whats in your fuel. Kit 7-15 dollars. Use non-ethanol fuel. Your saw will run like it should!

It depends on where you live as to the amount ,if any of ethanol in the gasoline .

As far as I'm concerned the would have been better of using the corn for cattle feed or corn whiskey as to use it for fuel stocks .:what:

I agree. Alcohol was a polititcal and feelgood football. Some people, even the farmers, made some money on it last year. This year doesn't look so good. Alcohol plants going under and investors losing.

Fuel for small engines

Ethanol deteriorates rubber seals quicker. The speedway cars use what to soften tire tread for better grip? Use rubbing alchol on old wipers to clean and make more pliable. My Stihl dealer/repair shop advised the use of non-ethanol fuel. KS and MO have a minimum of 10% ethanol and higher in fuel. In KC are a few fuel pumps got busted selling 60% ethanol. Which killed the engines of those unlucky few. The fuel hauler said: The leaded fuel used in the past is less enviromentally hazard then the crap we use now.

Back