McCulloch 640 gear drive

SkwerI

Treehouser
I helped a buddy of mine by cutting down a dead tree in his yard and he gave me an old McCullough 640 gear drive saw. I need to get my camera out of the other truck to get some pictures, but here's Mike Acre's page describing it.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...7f4442d7ad87622388256b6100169702?OpenDocument

Anybody here interested in it? It looks fairly complete other than a missing screw or two, but I haven't looked at it very closely. The paint is in very good shape and it looks like a very low hour machine. It weighs a ton though.

Gear drives are usually heavy, in a year or two I'll be too old to lift up my 090G. People seem to like them for milling though, lots of torque.

It doesn't say what the gear reduction is on that one, possibly 2:1?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Upon closer inspection, it looks like somebody started to try and get it fixed up at one time. It has a new sprocket on it, but the fuel lines and air filter are missing as well as whatever bracket holds the air filter. I'm going to go out on a limb here and call it a 'parts saw', or perhaps a non functional shelf decoration. Somebody offer me enough money to box it up and ship it to you and it's yours.

Cool deal, Al. I'll get it boxed up and shipped, then let you know the damages. Can you send me your address again? I lost it when the hard drive died on my other computer.

I just got off the phone with Gary and he said he would take Al up on his offer. He's all excited about getting hold of an old Mac gear drive. Al, I'll make it up to you on the next one. :)

No problem B and Gary .I'm glad he wants it .

I'm up to my hip pockets with old saw as it is .

I will say this though,a Mac high speed engine with a gear drive will come as a surprise to most people .

That one is an 80 cc engine,same as the 250 .It won't throw chips like my 650 which is 87 cc but it will amaze most people that never saw a "fast " gear drive .

By the way if a restoration is in order the exact match for Mac yellow is OSHA safety yellow .

To further elaborate on the paint color an axample is in order . This saw, a Super pro 105 has only had the muffler guard and recoil assembley repainted .The other paint is original .Considering the original paint was over 30 years old the match was pretty close .

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 84
Sweet... Al my friend... thanks mang! :thumbup:

Thanks for the call last night Brian... I wich we coulda BS'd more... but I was headin' out to take care of some "business"... :lol:

PM sent your way for my addy... :)

Gary

Al, that old freebie saw would have been too expensive for you anyway. I just paid over $62 to ship it to Gary. If I had a working printer I may have been able to print the shipping labels from home and fudged on the weights a little, but the saw and box shipped out at 37 lbs plus another 5 lbs for the bar.

Plus the added cost for Al to keep his frige supplied, a new project keeping him out in the shed longer.

Yes sir,that saw was made in the time of tall trees and iron men . That one isn't for the faint of heart .:D

It used to be UPS was a buck a pound from here to the left coast and about 75 cents to central Fla but I suppose the rates may have went up .

Ha,I bought an 18 HP Briggs engine it Orlando .90 for the engine,90 to ship it .:lol:

If that one was shipped to me, I'd probably get asked to please carry it out of the delivery truck for the postman or postwoman. :lol:

Oh they are heavy old rascals no doubt about that . Eric Copsey grabbed a hold of my 650 at a gtg once and could not believe the weight of that old plow horse .

You want a challange,try an up cut with one of those things some time .:lol:

Back