Removals over new houses, don't you love it.

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 3K
G

Gord

Why is always when they're about to (or just have) put the roof on that they call to have the tree out? It's all work I suppose, but when it's a tree like this one that is a grunt no matter how it's done, and the time and money from before to after is different by a factor of 20, it is kinda frustrating. A crane would be nice but it's on an island, on a steep lot with access for a pickup and nothing more. You can see the steepness of the working area in the second shot.

Attachments

• maple_regret3.jpg
    maple_regret3.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 20
  • maple_regret1.jpg
    maple_regret1.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 17
  • maple_regret2.jpg
    maple_regret2.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 22
Funny how some folks can be blind to trees, unless they practically hit them in the face.

On my bike road to my shop, is a big Zelkova with a dead limb hanging down, over an area where some neighborhood kids play. I knocked on their door to inform..."Oh, we know about that", said not so pleasantly, or I would have volunteered, as they look like elderly folks possibly short on resources. It's still there after a month. :roll:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In this case I agree with the client, the tree should go. It's a fully mature Bigleaf Maple which has recently had all of the nearby trees removed. It's too common to see these trees begin to break apart after a few winters on their own.

Of course, Gord. His point is that they couldn't figure it out 3 months ago before they started building the house?

Is it just me, or does that house construction look a little suspect? I'm thinking low budget project, trees included.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think the construction is too bad actually, just being done at a slow pace almost entirely by hand, so it gets looking a little sloppy. The roof was plywood sheeted and covered in a wrap of whatever kind ('soprema' I spent all day looking at it). Got it done in 7 hours plus travel with a good 4 man crew.

I see it all the time up here Gord. There's a newish development on Okanagan Lake(well lots of them but this one in particular) where they've buried mature fir and pine by in some places it looks like up to 15'! Lots of places a good 10' deep and then all nicely landscaped and finished and these big ass expensive homes built all around under them. It started this development about 7 or 8 years ago and I've already removed a few trees in there. It does boggle the mind at times.

In this case I agree with the client, the tree should go. It's a fully mature Bigleaf Maple which has recently had all of the nearby trees removed. It's too common to see these trees begin to break apart after a few winters on their own.

I don't know how many times I've seen developers building housing projects attempt to save trees by cutting most the trees and saving a few. Almost invariably I've witnessed the remaining trees, whose surrounding trees were removed, decline rapidly. I'm not just talking trees that tend to grow clonally, but I've seen elm, ash, oak, etc go quickly. They just get used to growing in a certain environment, and when it's disrupted, they die.

I see it all the time up here Gord. There's a newish development on Okanagan Lake(well lots of them but this one in particular) where they've buried mature fir and pine by in some places it looks like up to 15'! Lots of places a good 10' deep and then all nicely landscaped and finished and these big ass expensive homes built all around under them. It started this development about 7 or 8 years ago and I've already removed a few trees in there. It does boggle the mind at times.

Makes you get specific on stump grinding specs:lol:

I love this stuff. The bigger and the closer to the house, the better if you ask me. They say stupid should hurt, but I say it should just cost you a few grand. Which it does in this case.

Back