Price check on air filter

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
Can some of you guys do me a favor over the course of the next few days or the coming week if your not too busy call for a price check at your local Sthil dealers for an air filter for a MS 200 rear handled saw. The part number is 1129 120 1603. These filters are the round ones not the square ones that fit the top handle 200's. The ones I got are the nylon mesh (?) and are not the cloth or fleece type that came with the saw.

Before I get on my high horse and start accusing Sthil or my dealer of so called price gouging or excess profitering I would like to hear what some of the prices for this filter are in different parts of the country.

I ordered some replacement filters for my rear handled 200 and was just plain shocked to say the least when they came in and I went to pay for them.

I'll post the price I paid and some pics of the two different types of filters later. But I don't have the time right now.

I'd really like to compare notes on this one. I just don't belive an air filter can cost as much as the ones I just paid for. A little technical discussion might also be in order here also if you guys come up with the same prices as I did.

I can check tomorrow.. I thought my dealer was gouging on carbs but found out diffy.. Stihl has raised prices on a lot of stuff... Killing me on my brush cutters AGAIN! Let alone saws.

You might try calling Bailey's and ask them. I believe they still carry Stihl parts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still haven't had time to take pics and post them showing the two different types of filters available for the rear handled 200.

I'll post the price I paid for the so called premium filter mesh filter. I paid a whopping $45 bucks for one. I ordered two ot them. Like I said, I was shocked:O. Normally I don't pay attention to air filter prices because I usually order them along with other parts. I can usually guess what I will be paying for parts without having to ask but this time I was way off.

That $45 bucks is getting close to 10% of the cost of a new saw and this just a replacement part for it. I guess the new catch phrase applies to this. Sthil is pretty proud of those parts.

Rummy, I honestly doubt Bailey's would have this part. I have checked out Bailey's for parts they don't have too much for Sthil Saws. They do carry many parts for Husky.

List price on a MS 200 air filter 1129 120 1603 is $47.65 for the open mesh and the flocked 1129 120 1604 is $32.30.
The flocked should be what came on the saw, and is the right number for any MS 200 with a spark arrester screen which is all of the US. Funny that it is cheaper.

I hate the open mesh, lets alot through cutting hardwoods around here. Expensive POS.

I would think flocked filter would be the best filter to use and at a cost savings to boot.

I think Baileys may be a Stihl dealer .However because of the type marketing they do as per Stihl regulations they aren't supposed to sell orders over the internet,mail order etc .

We all know by this time that the company is extremely proud of their parts and the price reflects that pride .

Bailey's sells aftermarket (Chinese) replacement Stihl parts, but not any genuine Stihl parts to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks SC for checking on those parts. Your prices are the same as the ones my dealer was quoting or charged me. A couple bucks difference but close enough.

I did get a pic of the two different filters available for the rear handled 200.

I guess Sthil is pretty proud of those filters. Left one is the mesh for $45 dollar one, the right one is the flocked for $32.

I'll quit whining, as you get what you pay for.

Which filter is the best for filtration. ????

I know this is a debateable question as I have heard it argued both ways. My dealer guy here says the mesh is better.

Next question, which one lasts longer in terms of service life before it has to be pitched???

What started all this was and pardon the pun my MS started acting squirrley like overnight. Last time I used it it ran fine. Next time the darn thing wouldn't hold an idle, had to fiddle with the carb adjustments just so it would run decent and so on. We have all heard the idiocinrencies when it comes to these saws. Finally got the darn saw in the shop and gave the air filter a good bath and a go round with the air compressor. Problem solved, readjusted carb and problem solved. Till the next time which wasn't to long between cleanings. This is what prompted the air filter replacement.

My experience with the mesh filters is they are easier to clean on the job and clean-up better in the shop. The mesh seems to be a more durable filter for the long haul, it looks that way to me anyway. My T's came with the mesh filters and have held up very well and with no running problems from a clogged filter.

This is my take on the this. I know others are going to have a different opinion.

Attachments

• P7240009.JPG
    P7240009.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 4
Flocked is my preference, always has been. My experience with the mesh filters (on Stihl and Husky saws) is that they don't filter as well and allow too much crud through.

As far as 'easier to clean', if you're using anything other than compressed air to clean the flocked filters then you're working too hard at it. I've heard 'armchair experts' claim compressed air will 'damage' a flocked filter but I've never been able to damage one in 20+ years. And a 3-4 year old filter still cleans up almost as good as a new one. My personal test is looking under the filter around the carb intake when removing the dirty filter. If it's letting crud through then I start looking for the reason why.

The mesh filters are supposedly only for winter use anyway. 'Winter' meaning lots of wet snow and sub freezing temperatures. The flocked filters can hold water and can reduce air flow if they are used in very wet conditions.

Flocked are the best but screen material works too .

Keep an eye on the flocked ones though because once the flocking gets sucked out of it the screen that is left won't stop much . I've seen several that met an early death due to a forked up flocked up flock filter .Play on words,so to speak .

Oh ,that snow stuff only applies to perhaps northern Ont. or perhaps the Yukon or parts of Alaska .Maybe Siberia but nobody on this site hails from same .;)

Keep an eye on the flocked ones though because once the flocking gets sucked out of it the screen that is left won't stop much . I've seen several that met an early death due to a forked up flocked up flock filter .Play on words,so to speak .

Right on the mark Al ! Got an 026 from a guy who "flocked-up" the saw:what:,(looked like the P&C were running on a GAS/GRIT mix instead of GAS/OIL mix.
He told me he regularily "blew out" the air filter with c/air.
Did he ever !!Wasn't more than a traceof the flocking left.
Soap & water at the end of the day + a spare one in the toolbox to swap out if needed in the bush.Thats my method.
Steve

Compressed air won't hurt them but you have to use some thoughts on it . You can't stick a full pressure blast to them else you will without a doubt flock them up by deflocking them .

No matter what you do given enough time the flocking leaves them .

The flocked filter on my MS is made much better than the older style flocked filters for the previous generation SThil saws. You did have to keep a sharp eye on those filters. It wouldn't take to much for the flocking to degarade on the old style filters leaving an exposed hole in the mesh for dirt and grit to get through. The mesh on those olders filters had a much more open weave than the mesh filter I have here now.

Back