Tilia with foliage damage

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
any thoughts? I am leaning towards Tilia lace bug. irrigation appears appropriate, new growth is healthy, no bark damages, no signs of fungal or bacterial infection. planted 3 years ago, planting depth seems fine, soil is damp not saturated to at least 12 inches. Fertilized with 18-18-18 time release a few days ago. No sprays have been applied to date. Tree strapping is tight but not girdling and it will be removed by the end of the day.

Attachments

• P7156400 (Large).JPG
    P7156400 (Large).JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P7156401 (Large).JPG
    P7156401 (Large).JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P71564061.JPG
    P71564061.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P7156407 (Large).JPG
    P7156407 (Large).JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 4
No sign of the bug? The lace bug is easy to see on the underside of the leaves.
Maybe they already left?
I call those trees Linden. Is that what it is?

Linden, and I believe lime as well. There's two lindens around here I believe, t. cordata, and I think t. americana? Have to look it up. I like pruning them, the branches just snip off so smoothly and cleanly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yup, aka Basswood but the botanical name is Tilia, supposedly this is Tilia x europeana columnaris, I dont believe it. I figure since the new growth is healthy and fine, the little buggers are long gone. I did see some wasps and ladybugs and a couple soldier beetles, all good signs that a sap sucking insect has been around in the past. No sooty mold yet though. I looked into the life cycle of the lace bug and apparently it commonly has two cycles a year, one through mid spring and another in september.

Basswood saws on the mill like it isn't even there, really! I could go just about full speed forward on a Super series mill. Then it dipped on me. About three inches.:lol: Oh well, you know what Clint always said, a man's got to know his limitations.:/:

Back