MS660 air filter

18 stoner

But not stoned...
Just wondered if you guys think this is normal?

My 660 air filter has never seemed to filter properley since new. The filter (outer cartridge) seems to catch a good bit of dust, but every time i take it off to clean out there seems to be a lot of fine saw dust on the displacer inside.

My thoughts are that this dust is going into the pot and obviously doesnt seem good. I have checked and double checked and there doesnt seem to be any leaks, or holes in the mesh, it just seems to be going through the filter as if it has not got a fine enough mesh.

I took some pics earlier today but somehow cant download them. Perhaps more luck tomorrow when the beer has worn off!:/:

Any of your thoughts are welcome.

Cheers, Pete.

I just went through this on my 066... I figured that maybe the prefilter was just shot... Then went to the dealer and got a new filter... I bought the whole unit and it was diffy... I had to eliminate the baffle just to use it. It also has another course looking filter inside. I am trying to look up the part number. The bottom of the filter seemed to have a better sealing gasket also. Says HD on the filter (Heavy Duty?) which was not on the old filter. Seemed to work mo better ...... I think the 066 might work on the 660 filter wise...
The HD IPL# 000 141 0300 for the 066
I will look further into it for the 660....

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My IPL listing does not show a HD filter set up for the 660 ... Might be worth the try though.. Or maybe Sawcollector or someone has a more current IPL listing.

Edit......

They list a 660 HD filter set up
Part number 0000 120 1654
My dealer lists it for 43.09 US

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that looks more like a filter!:D

The standard one on mine is far short of that one, will get onto it on monday morning and see if the HD is available over here!

Oh, and when im able to down load the pics you guys will be able to see why i've been concerned, there is actually more dust stuck to the deflector inside than on the outside of the filter!:O

If you can't get it... My local dealer has one in stock and I can get it for you and just send it...PM me if you need me to pick it up. And I sooooo know what you mean about how much dust got through. I was looking at mine the same way wondering how soon I would have to have it rebuilt:\: That HD filter changed that big time :)

Stihl has made some pretty crappy air filters over the years. Most of them were way too complicated and nowhere near effective enough to keep crud out of the motor. Imagine if the 660 air filter worked as well as the air filter on the Husky 372XP?

Can't figure why Stihl never took a hint from Husky on the air filtration set-up. Models differ, but generally speaking, Husky filters stay a lot cleaner.

Husky schmusky. My saw's so sharp it spits chips not dust so I don't need to worry about keeping filters clean.:D

:lol:

If you can't get it... My local dealer has one in stock and I can get it for you and just send it...PM me if you need me to pick it up. And I sooooo know what you mean about how much dust got through. I was looking at mine the same way wondering how soon I would have to have it rebuilt:\: That HD filter changed that big time :)

Many thanks for the offer Stephen, i will get back to you if our dealer cant supply. They are usually pretty good, especially when you have part Nos for any "spurious" parts.

Like you say, think it would just be a matter of time before............dont want to think:O

Too right. Your options seem endless though over the pond, always lots of modding enthusiasts. Most of the guys at our side are a little scared of makin em breathe:|:

I would love for my 066 to scream better.... Someday. It most definitely would be worth it I am sure. Still need to get that jug for my 455 and make a 460 of it. I want to give Sqwerl a hack at it. See how hot we get it to be :D I just bought a 460 and it has much more pull than the 455... Sooooooo lets soup it up a bit :D

I have two 46's, best all round saw imo. They're my favorite, although my modded 361 runs like a raped ape. :D

The 036 already has decent grunt. I think that opening up the exhaust port and lightening the piston would serve you well, Steve.

Speaking of ye olde 036 ,I saw a dandy of a mod .Old Dean sent back an 034 with an 036 jug that a gent from Pa ran at one of our GTG's .

Now that thing was still around 60 cc's and most likely long ported for power as it didn't really scream ,just had monumental torque . I mean you could lean on that one and not stall it .

That right there is my opinion of a goods "woods " port .You don't need to have them scream at 15 thou rpms' .If you can just get them to hold stock revs in the cut then you have something .My 2 cents on the matter .;)

I have one of those beasts, Al, dropped an 036 jug onto an 034 case, and ported it as well. Plunge cuts are testy, it wants to kick back nasty with the awesome torque.

...and talk about loud!!!!

The 036 is already a "kicking saw" from the box. But I agree with you Al.. If you can just mod it to pull the same stock RPMs as stock.. but have the torque to just keep pulling it.. that is what I feel is the perfect balance.. Some saws really do need the higher speed to just push the chips out of the way... But to be able to keep pulling no matte at the same rpm.. That is magic ;)

Did we just derail this or what:/:

Not too bad of a derail .:lol:

Back to the 660 filter 066 whatever .

I looked in my IPL's and found several types for an 066 .My lists are too old for the 660 . They listed several and one being a two piece deal like the 038 used . I have never seen one like that ,only the cartridge type with a pre filter .

Say I think some of the west coasters may have ran 066's with big fat K and N filters . The problem with those things is you have to remove the cover for them to work .

The up side is they have a large area for filtration and are pretty unrestrictive .

Saw that on my IPL.. Listed for the 066. Never saw it in real life though save for the 036/038. The 660 does not have but the oval filter configuration from the IPL like the 066 I have seen normally.

Back