Stihl Elastrostart

brendonv

Tree Hugger
What are your guys opinions on the rubber centered pull start on the saws? Mine keep braking someway or another. Any suggestions on a replacement?

I like them, cause guys rarely use the comp release. The pawls on the starter side seem weaker than ever, so the spring action in the handle helps alot.
What's breaking on yours? The spring?

If it is like the easy start, (and I think it is) and the spring (rubber) is in the handle (which I believe it is)... I replace with a wooden dowel on the fly...Add knot.. Cut dowel to desired length and add knot ;)
I was furious at Stihl for charging what they do for a handle and rope... This was my fix to the expensive problem ;)
Usually its the handle that actually breaks (the retainer stop).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When the pull rope brakes, it always seems some little part of the rubber handle disapears, hence having to halfass it back together.

I should have elaborated... Excuse me...
On the Brushers I will replace with a dowel.. No compression release. On the saws (my babies) I will replace the whole handle..
But then my groundie(s) don't much touch my Stihls .. My bad! ;)

If you mean the rubber insert then you are hosed. The spring and cap are cheap, like .10, The pull cord come with the stops swaged in already.
Again I replace the handle, have done the field repair without the damnpener setup, but I won't leave it on. I have learned the hard way that the goofy little handle serves a purpose.

Yes the pawls in the last 3 years have left a lot to be desired (as does the starter housing and most plastic components).. You really do need the cushion on the newer saws ... On the older versions it was a spring.. Like I said I should have thought before typing... what is that expression... engage brain before starting tongue (or fingers in this case).:lol::lol:

Don't confuse the Elastostart with the homeowner gimick "Easy start"...

Brendon... are you pullin' the rope all the way to the end? I have only broke one pull cord in 30 years of sawing... and it was because the cord was too short, and "bottoming out".

The Elastostart starter handles are a good thing. :)

Gary

Yup, spend the $15 and replace it with a new one. And quit yanking the rope out all the way to the end. I'm considering putting that system on one or two of my Huskys.

I don't know what exactly is happening. The 460's rope was worn, so it ended up breaking. On the other one I can't remember. The fact that you have to buy the rope with the little nipple on the end sucks. Then I gotta order it, wait, pickup.

Although I kinda get the drift on what your telling me to do.

It's been a stocked item at every Stihl dealer I've dealt with. Your Stihl guy must have a minuscule inventory if he needs to order a starter handle. :roll:

I have an extra cord with the little nipple like thingie already in place for each of my saws. That way, should one break, while in the deep woods, I can get a new one out of the toolbox instead of having to jury rig something or loose ½ a days pay driving to the dealer.
I do that with a lot of things, keep a spare in the truck. It saves a lot of hassle when you are a long way from a repair shop.

Have an 084 kick back on you just once and you'll wish you had that elastic gizmo . I had one come back on me hard the first of May and my hand is just now starting to heal .

Yup, spend the $15 and replace it with a new one. And quit yanking the rope out all the way to the end. I'm considering putting that system on one or two of my Huskys.

oh, the blasphemy. Why not put wire wheels and whitewalls on the bucket while your at it.:P

It's been a stocked item at every Stihl dealer I've dealt with. Your Stihl guy must have a minuscule inventory if he needs to order a starter handle. :roll:

He's a hole in the wall- just like me, that's why I like him. The 460 does jerk the shit outta your hand without it, so I probably will just buy new setups and get an extra. :|: Might just order that spool of chain at the same time. Goddamn, just dropped 1k on truck parts this morn too. :O

Talk to GASoline Gary or Wiley P (Nice Guy Dave) before you buy a roll of chain. One of them might be able to hook you up if they have time.

Ha, I was quoted that from another dealer. He said that's the same price as buying it already made, and at that point you mind as well.

Not the bend the thread from the elasto-start but a D handle is certainly easier on the poor old hand and fingers than a regular starter handle .

You get snapped by 100 plus cc's of saw engine it damned sure hurts you . With a D you have a better grip on things .

Yeah, but they flop around and get in your way when trying to work with the saw. It doesn't matter much if you're just cutting cookies on a sawhorse, but in the real working world I find them intrusive. There was one on that POS cookie cutter 395 I bought from kftree last year, I sent the saw back to him and bought a new stock 395 from Madsen's instead.

I can see your point on that .

I had to put one on my 2100 Huskie before it completely ruined my hand . It doesn't get in my way but then again I'm not hoisting that thing around from a bucket truck either .

Back