Cedar Deodora with mushrooms.

stehansen

Climbing Up
This tree was in a neighboring yard where we were working last week. I'm assuming it has a couple of dead roots that are decomposing. The tree looks fine. Is this anything to worry about? The underside of the mushrooms has a kind of rose tint.

Attachments

• aptos 003 (Large).jpg
    aptos 003 (Large).jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 13
  • aptos 004 (Large).jpg
    aptos 004 (Large).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 9
With as much humidity and the rain we had (and how it came over time gentle) there are many fungus that are thriving on the conditions this year... I would more keep and eye on the tree and it's over all health/condition.. Does not look like it is leaning toward the house... Unless I start seeing some serious dead in it.. I would just assess year to year as conditions may change.. But I see what you are... Funny how the shrooms look like they are following a root line. Granted I am no expert.. But I would advise the HO of your observations and ask to keep an eye on the tree...

Don't worry about it. My bet is that the shrooms are from something in the lawn, not growing out of rotten roots.
Those trees do very well in lawn areas.
Just make sure you get a check for the consult :)

When I see stuff like that around here, it's a no-win situation as far as trying to approach a homeowner unsolicited. I wouldn't park my car underneath it. I would assume that there is major root decomposition going on underground due to overwatering (See RangerDanger's work pictures from this past weekend).

If you say something to the homeowner and nothing happens to the tree, then you're an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. But if the tree blows over in the next storm, then somehow it's your fault for bringing it up. I no longer try to save every tree. If I'm asked, then it's a hazard. If I'm not asked, then nothing is wrong with it.

But that's your neck of the woods Brian...
In my neck of the woods... A man is respected if he sees something to be concerned about, approaches the HO and makes a good call proven right... Makes for great money and referrals period!

I doubt those are from wood decaying fungi. Wouldn't hurt to ID them to be sure though.

Those always trouble me when they are radiating out from the trunk especially since it is a very dry environment here. Do the deodoras blow over much there Steve? If I saw that on a spruce here I would recommend removal as they are shallow rooted and prone to going over in high winds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, they are pretty stable. That's what I noticed OM is that they looked to be radiating from the trunk.

A little bit better pic of the fruiting bodies themselves would be great. From what I see it looks like nothing. Again without seeing the mushroom closer it's difficult to get an id and try to make diagnosis.

If it were me, I'd suggest a root excavation. I would hope not to find tree roots below the mushrooms!

I love deadwooding deodar cedars!

love
nick

A lot of mushrooms are Mycorrhizae fungus, meaning they live in symbiosis with a tree.
This seems like one of those.
They intermingle with the tree's rootsystem and exchange nutrients back and forth to each others mutual benefit.
A lot of boletes are mycorrhizae scrooms, like Boletus elegans, which lives under larch trees.

OOPs, I just noticed something in the picture.
See how the grass is a little greener where the mushrooms are?
And how they seem to grow in a line curving a little to the left.
I bet it's a remnant of an old fairy ring, which has nothing to do with the cedar.

I think the mushrooms are to do with the lawn, but on a side note, we are starting to realise and understand that tree roots naturaly decompose with the help of fungi of course.

These dead roots have very little ''if any'' impact on the stability or the health of the tree. Research is showing large mature trees stay standing due to a wine glass type design, instead of relying on large spreading structual roots as previously thought

OOPs, I just noticed something in the picture.
See how the grass is a little greener where the mushrooms are?
And how they seem to grow in a line curving a little to the left.
I bet it's a remnant of an old fairy ring, which has nothing to do with the cedar.

Fairy ring is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pic.

In case anybody asks... a fairy ring is where fairies screw.

My first thought on seeing the title was conks. I found a deodar with conks that turned out to be the same decay organism as white spec that is found in Douglas-fir. I will be removing in September so we will see whats what

My first thought on seeing the title was conks. I found a deodar with conks that turned out to be the same decay organism as white spec that is found in Douglas-fir. I will be removing in September so we will see whats what
So it's cut first, and ask questions later? ID ing the fungus is only part of the job--how extensive is the decay? If you cannot answer that then you are ignorant of the core criterion for decision making.

OM, skerl, if you recommend removal before exploring, you may be crazed by sawdust lust. Or paranoid. ouch the tree and see! O and like Frans says, a check for diagnosis is certainly in order.

Great article by Cowan. He does not mention but the simple act of excavation can be therapeutic for the tree, allowing infected areas to dry. "it continues to producing structural reinforcements reminiscent of those built to support the Eiffel Tower. " :)

Those always trouble me when they are radiating out from the trunk especially since it is a very dry environment here. Do the deodoras blow over much there Steve? If I saw that on a spruce here I would recommend removal as they are shallow rooted and prone to going over in high winds.

I've not seen many blow over here in the UK, plenty with broken branches and boughs though..

Back