problem rope

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so I thought I would treat myself to a new climbing line today. I believe the rope is Arbormaster, I bought it from the ebay guy a while back. Anyway I was trimming away and then noticed a bad spot on the rope....As the day went on 3 or 4 more bad spots appeared. OK this rope has never been used before and Im pretty sure these spots werent there befor I started this morning... Man Im kinda scared to use this thing.

Anybody seen anything like this before ?????:?

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 26
That looks bad. I wouldn't use it as my climbing line. It looks like it got nicked with a hand saw.

Well, something damaged the rope. Was it like that when you got it or did those spots appear after you used it? I use the same brand of rope and I have ropes 4-5 years old without that type of damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It wasnt knicked by a saw and as I said Im pretty sure it wasnt damaged before I started this morning. Im wondering if it might be chemical damage to the fibers and once it goes through the hitch it busts loose??

Dunno but Im scared of it since I dunno

got a better pix that is in focus? I cant be sure but it looks like some kind of discoloration at the point of where the rope is frayed.

And how did you have you line placed in the tree as you worked? Could it have caught on something? Could some of it have taken a hit on the ground?

Unless you're overlooking something, my bet would be that it's chemical damage. Which could explain why it ended up getting sold on eBay cheap instead of going to a real dealer.

I have bought plenty of rope from him too and never had a problem. As I said its been sitting in my shop for a while so maybe it got something on it there but I cannt imagine it as its been on a shelf in a box with another couple of ropes. Ill have to check them in the morning.

Yeah Frans there definately is discoloration but maybe thats where I was pooping myself:lol:

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 19
Send it to Samson and tell'em you want a new line.

That's arbormaster's series rope. Which I have had good experiend with, but what you're showing is defective and funky. You should not have a problem getting a new line showing them these pics. Back it up with documentation of course.

Looking at that line with the standard inspection flags, you have a bulge and 2 consecutive strands nicked. Independently, either warrants retirement of that line from life support.

Don't they call those "puffs", or something. An indication of well time to retire it when they are to the extent this rope shows.

Do you know the history of the rope at all? Even unused ropes will fail easily if they were stored improperly for a several years. The tests are pretty sobering... they held a static load OK but broke on the first dynamic load. (Wilderness Search and Rescue; Setnika).

Ah, I missed the part about it being new. He said he was climbing with it, I didn't know it was its first use. Cool.

Ah, I missed the part about it being new. He said he was climbing with it, I didn't know it was its first use. Cool.

Thing is... it might not be new, he got it on eBay. It could've been sitting in a warehouse right by a case of leaking hydrochloric acid or something.

Here is a thought. You say the rope was stored in a box in the shop. Was there a top on the box? Any indication the box was chewed on by rodents. I have had mice chew on my camping gear look like that. Plus the stain looks like it could be mouse urine or possibly chipmunks The love the fiber for nesting.

GF when I say its NEW I mean I have never used it before yesterday however I bought it last year and it has sat in a box in my shop....

Back