Bit of Brit Felling

18 stoner

But not stoned...
After reading Burnhams thread on the "letter box" cut, thought i would put up this vid of a bit of felling done by myself and Pete McTree a few months back.

Please feel free to pick fault;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfP7bps5v5s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfP7bps5v5s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why are you backchaining on the back cuts? It seems like you're making more work for yourself.

Some good wood in the Ash?

Pete, I thought I saw both of you fellas doing the backcut simultaneous like in the first part of the video. ? New way to speed up the cut?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why are you backchaining on the back cuts? It seems like you're making more work for yourself.

Some good wood in the Ash?

Sorry for my ignorance, but by "backchaining" do you mean using a pushing chain? (Think its a translation thing:))

If so i think the only bits of it are following plunge cuts, to dress the hinge, prior to doing the backcut. Unfortunately, i dont think there is any vid showing us doing the plunge cuts.

All the timber on that job is to be firewood, all the butts were no good for anything else but all we had to do was get them in the floor and leave the tidying up for the owner. Think we got the best part of the job;)

The Ash stem before and after felling;

DSC01887.jpg

DSC01889.jpg

Pete, I thought I saw both of you fellas doing the backcut simultaneous like in the first part of the video. ? New way to speed up the cut?

Is that the bit where Pete was taking his gob out? Think i was just taking out some suckers from behind the beech, but was probably further away than it looked in the vid. (actually trying to clear a good escape route for him `cause he cant run real good:roll:)

Some still shots of the felling cuts, for your scrutiny8)

DSC01902.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01893.jpg

Backchaining = using the top of the bar/chain to cut. Just like you'd do cutting a ant infested stump.

Cheers for that Butch, never heard the term over here before.

Guess i`ll never forget it either, just with the thought of ants in me pants:blob6:

Yeah, it looked like you were using the top of the bar on one back cut, and swinging from the back to the gut of the bar on another. I can see how a plunge cut could get mistaken for that, my mistake :)

I and everyone I've worked with over the years refer to a "pushing" chain and a "pulling" chain. The term back chaining never made as much sense to me. There is no reverse direction to the chain drive.

Bars don't have backs...they have a top and a bottom...top pushes, bottom pulls...

Bars don't have backs...they have a top and a bottom...top pushes, bottom pulls...

They most certainly do here in Oregon...the bottom is just as often as not called the "gut" of the bar, and the top is called the "back". And we do "backchain"...though I've never heard someone say they "gutchained" a cut :).

But we don't speak nearly so refined a version of the mother tongue as the fine people of Bermuda, so you'll have to overlook our flaws that way.
:lol:

Never ceases to intrigue me how many different terms there are for the same thing around the world.

Back