Problem with my splicing wand.

• Thread starter GIZROID
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 2K
G

GIZROID

I purchased a sm. splice wand from John @ Knot & Rope. He told me that I would break a few snares until I got the hang of it. I bought 3 extras @ $2 ea. I noticed that they would become abraided on either side of the snare and then break after only a few splices. This happened even when I was doing Tenex splices. I finally realized that it wasn't my technique . The inside edges of the splice wand were very sharp so the snares were being cut every time I tightened the snare. I took some fine sandpaper to take the edges off until they were rounded over. I have had no problems since. I went to Gander Mtn. and bought 150 yds. of 80lbs. test braided fishing line for $15 to make snares out of. Has anyone else had this problem ?

I personally did not have this problem with my wand, but I have heard of others having it and solving it the same way.

I just got the 42" arborist wand with 5 extra snares. I did not use it yet, but thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check mine before I use it.

I broke alot of snares at first then learned about taking it easy and really milking the rope gently.
Good thing you spotted that sharp edge that kind of thing can get expensive quickly!

I haven't heard of that one yet...but those are all made by hand, so I guess some room for human error should be granted.

I've been making my own snares for a few years by braiding together strands of technora (or vectran). They last me a long time and I use them a LOT. Frans is right. As soon as you learn to take it easy, the snares will last a long time. Mine last me at least a year and that's a ton of splicing. I think it's the combo of light hand and super tough snares.

The dyneema fishing line is a good idea. I'll keep that one in mind!

love
nick

Back