Cherry problem: Is this scale?

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
I think scale but the dots are really hard to scrape off.
This cherry is gonna dye soon if not treated.

Attachments

• cherry.jpg
    cherry.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 60
  • cherry2.jpg
    cherry2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
another pic of the dead bits

Attachments

• cherry 3.jpg
    cherry 3.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 57
From here those look like lenticels, not scale, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Yeah they are very hard to scrape off , what treatment would suffice.
I think it has more than just lenticels.
Would lenticlels kill it ?
There is nothing else percievable on this tree.

I don't really know. If that is scale, then they are probably a secondary problem, and the primary problem is some other stress that the tree is under. I doubt the scale is the prime reason for the tree's decline.

Truck exhaust, parked dump truck, ect? Just throwing ideas.

That's some pretty funny stuff in the first few post. Add "cide" to any word and you have something that kills it. :lol:

It was funnier before posts were edited...:D

You're right, though. I''m going to start working on a lenticelcide.

You guys are brutal .Let me tell you what i think is wrong , the neighbor has been fooling around .He cut my customer"s holly tree really bad .
They are semi fueding . This cherry looked perfect about a week ago , My very first thought was some type of poison or something poured on the root system.
I sent out 2 defferent certified arbo's one who is very well respected and ive got no answers.
If its fire blight what should i do.
tell me what type of photos will help ill dig one up of the bark.

Sorry dark, couldn't help myself. No harm meant. :)

That kind of sudden drastic change does lead one to suspect foul play under the circumstances. If you think that some kind of chemical was dumped in the soil then trying to flush the soil with lots of water might help, but I'm no expert on this kind of stuff.

Is it just a few branches/sections of the tree that are affected, or is it the whole thing?

Anyhow tomorrow im going to remove all the dead and a bit more of stems that seem to be infected using steril pruner.
Im going to apply compost tea and spray triple action by ferti loam.
Nothing wrong with these measures and im sending the pictures to Kim Coder it University of Ga.
Over and out...

Is the "dead" dead or just defoliated? I have seen defoliation on a cherry caused by Pear slugs-By the time it looked awful the culprits were gone. Forget Fireblight-that one confines itself to apples and pears along with European Mountain Ash. TWM's brown rot might be it -I have no experience with that one.

Its dead dead. Dry no sap at all.
Creepy we are pruning it today.
Ill get more pics.

Back