Brisket

Husky385

Treehouser
Anyone got a good brisket recipe? fancy trying a good brisket this coming weekend..

Thanks

We've done the injector and slow cooked them over Oak, that was good!
I once smoked one in a smoker, filled the water pan with apple juice instead of water after a good dry rub.

And welcome back Lee!

You got a smoker or are you doing it in the oven?

1 - rub down with coarse salt and cracked black pepper. You can also add some cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne if desired. Rub on the fine spices first, then the salt, then the pepper. Use a lot of seasoning, it'll mellow over time.

2 - put in the smoker on indirect heat - about 225-250 F. It'll take about 45 minutes per lb, but the real test is when a probe slides in like butter. You can wrap in foil after a few hours if you want. That'll add a degree of safety as it'll keep the juices in.

3 - Slice against the grain and eat.

I havent smoked anything yet but I did a consult with the Prez of the company that markets the Bradley Smoker, I have been eyeing this unit a bit...

I dont have facility for much else at the moment I dont figure. I would rather have a wood fired unit but...
and I dont believe the local wood is good for smoking much of anything, unless you want to make yourself ill.
IE Douglas Fir, Western red cedar, big leaf maple, pacific dogwood. Its rare to cut down much that is good for use, the fruit wood I get I give to the inlaws, they have a homemade smoker at their place and do a batch of sausage or salmon on occasion.

You can do great bbq with charcoal and a few chunks of wood. Cooking with all wood is nice, but not neccessary. Try lump charcoal instead of the pressed manufactured type - no additives, just like wood. Then keep some of that fruit wood for yourself.

in what sort of a rig? my regular BBQ? Thats all I have currently on our condo patio. I was thinking of using the soaked chips in a tinfoil dish on the bbq, meat on the other side of the rig, havent gotten around to it yet though.

Lots of different types that aren't too expenive or too big. I use the first type.

Attachments

• Offset.jpg
    Offset.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 69
  • WSM.jpg
    WSM.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 69
  • Weber.jpg
    Weber.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 69
I usually do brisket with either a rub or marinade with a home made teriyaki marinade. I prefer the marinade the best as it helps tenderize the meat over two days. But the rub as long as the meat is cooked MR and sliced thin is great. I also use a combo of pine, oak and mesquite for my grilling. Tequila lime marinade is also quite refreshing on the pallet and tongue and can be used to marinate the meat in 24 hours instead of 48. Also make sure you take all the gray (tendon connecting membrane) off the meat to help keep it tender.

I usually do brisket with either a rub or marinade with a home made teriyaki marinade.

I've noticed that Cali brisket is sweeter than Texas brisket. We use more of a salt and pepper based rub. I never marinate.

I prefer the marinade the best as it helps tenderize the meat over two days. But the rub as long as the meat is cooked MR and sliced thin is great.

You're cooking a piece of meat for 12 hours - how do you end up with anything medium rare? Brisket is a very tough, cheap piece of meat. The reason it turns out good is that its cooked for so long that the collagen breaks down. Brisket is done when the meat is at 195-200 F.

Are you talking about tri-tip instead?

I also use a combo of pine, oak and mesquite for my grilling.

I've never heard of anyone using pine. Doesn't it add a bitter taste?

I dont have facility for much else at the moment I dont figure. I would rather have a wood fired unit but...
and I dont believe the local wood is good for smoking much of anything, unless you want to make yourself ill.
IE Douglas Fir, Western red cedar, big leaf maple, pacific dogwood. Its rare to cut down much that is good for use, the fruit wood I get I give to the inlaws, they have a homemade smoker at their place and do a batch of sausage or salmon on occasion.

Paul, I have great success smoking meats with vine maple, bigleaf maple, and red alder.

Vine maple is about my favorite. Older wood is a good idea, young can tend towards a bit of a stronger, more bitter flavor than is desireable.

I use a 22 inch covered Weber.

Paul, I have great success smoking meats with vine maple, bigleaf maple, and red alder.

Vine maple is about my favorite. Older wood is a good idea, young can tend towards a bit of a stronger, more bitter flavor than is desireable.

I use a 22 inch covered Weber.

no kidding? That sounds like a do-able thing. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No smoker here, slow roast in the oven...

So what goes into a rub?

Whatever you want. If you're interested in experimenting, then start with salt and pepper only. Use a good amount and keep the meat out of it's juices - you're trying to form a good "bark". After you get the basic down, start adding some other seasonings (chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, etc.), but keep in mind what it tasted like with just salt and pepper.

This is a great (hilarious) thread about cooking a brisket in an oven in order to give you a good baseline product - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57815&highlight=brisket+oven .

This is a good one about the importance of salt - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57130 .

Dry hickory chips give meats a good flavor . I don't own a smoker but often times use the gas grill on low heat with hickory for large slow cooked steaks .

One trick is to fire them hard for a few minutes a side to sear the meat then add chips and turn down the fire .

Back to the brisket .That stuff is tough as shoe leather and needs cooked slowly for hours .If done properly it is very tastey .

One recipe that might seem odd is to cover the whole thing with a large jar of mustard then roast it for hours .

The mustard is a good trick for adding a lot of crust (bark). It also holds the seasoning in place. After it cooks, you can't taste it at all.

Cool! The guy that started that thread is pretty "famous" over at the site I go to. He came up with a way of burning charcoal called the "Minion" method.

Back