MS 192 T Bucking Spike

sawcollector

TreeHouser
I was using this saw today and decided it needed a spike on it. The parts list shows the one from the MS 200 T as an option, so I took the one off of my 200 T to look at it. It is very thin, and mine was bent and I had not even noticed. It looked to me like the bolt pattern was the same as for the 1123 saws, like a MS 250, so I dug one up and look at the difference:

IMG_2568.jpg
IMG_2569.jpg

The one on the bottom is part number 1129 664 0500 from the MS 200 (1129 series) and the top one is part number 1123 664 0501 from a MS 250, 025 (1123 series) and is not only thicker but more aggressive as well. So I guess it would cost you about 3/4" of depth, but I put one on my MS 200 T and my MS 192 T to try them out.

IMG_2570.jpg

I think I saw this being discussed the other day on another thread, and since I am not a climber I am curious if this bigger spike would be in the way or too big for one handing in the tree.
But anyway it is OK to put the 1129 spike on a MS 192, as well as the 1129 656 7701 chain catcher. Use two 9074 477 4130 self tapping DG screws on the MS 192 to attach the spike and catcher. Don't just grab any old screw or you may poke a hole in the tank.

I don't know if I would want it on my 200t as it may poke me in the leg all day. The standard 200 like Burnham has would wear it well I think!

I must be weird because I still can't figure out why you need big dogs on practically any saw. You only need them long enough to help keep the saw from slipping. The smallest ones available for any saw work fine on everything except for the thickest and loosest bark. If you need dogs that big on a 200T then you're prying too hard and probably need to sharpen your chain more often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that the 1123 spike is the ticket for any small rear handle saw, and I was worried that they might be too long for the top handle saws. I guess it always comes down to personal preference and the situation. Some like them and some don't, and sometimes thick loose bark would warrant a more aggressive spike if you had one available.

Those dawgs do look nice, just a little beefier.

I detest small dawgs on anything bigger than a 200t with a passion. The smallest bump on the wood and the powerhead is pushing on the wood instead of the dawg.

Stumbled across this thread today, missed it the first go around, probably because I pretty much disregard the 192T. My loss, because there is great info here. Bumping it for future reference.

Thanks, sawcollector.

Back