California here i come!! Does anyone need a worker?

• Thread starter Billy O'Neil
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 5K
B

Billy O'Neil

I'm a young professional arborist based in the UK. I'm qualified and have experience. I'm looking to gain further experience as I travel. I will be flying into San Francisco on June 2nd. If anyone is interested in a keen honest worker please contact me at William.P.Oneil@googlemail.com.

Many thanks

Billy

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Billy! Good luck with the job search.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Mr. Sir! Your the first to reply. I'm feeling ready for all the challenges that lay ahead, however a little luck sent over goes a long way!

Do you have a work visa, or whatever is needed to be legally employed in the states?

Welcome and good luck ! yeah the Visa thing ... are you making inquiries with the big companies (Davey , ect.) .... even without full on paperwork if you are good you could probably get some work ... maybe smaller companies runnig smaller shows ...

If I were moving to San Fran and looking for a job, I'd be inquiring at the Presidio where Deva works. He's posted some phenomenal pictures from there over the last few years.

man just ask for cash under the table, ya think all the mexicans have papers. Good luck man and if you make it out east give me a holla as I can hook you up with a place to crash and work for a month or so.......

OK, possibly I'm a little skeptical....with no reason to be so regarding Billy. I really don't wish to stifle his ambition at all.

I get enquiries all the time from people in the west, wanting to come to this part of the world to work, generally to learn traditional skills. Most have never even visited the consulate in their own country to find out the working requirements, and the ramifications of being an illegal alien, if they do get "payed under the table". Although I have tried to help these people a number of times, usually the required effort on their part isn't really there.

Better informed makes for better likelihood of success. That's the age we are living in.
Winging it, no logistical information beyond simply wanting in go someplace thousands of miles away to work, it's one way for sure, and sad tales are there for the offering....or in the least, a very poor success rate.

Isn't this thread still on good track without moderation? Skwerl's heads up was timely, and hopefully also my explanatory note.

I know a lot about working in foreign countries, I realize possibly in a somewhat more formal fashion than Billy has in mind, at this point. It tends to be a karma thing, that is having to go to a lot of effort before a door creaks open for yourself. That has been my experience, at least. Perhaps going through the Treehouse will cut corners.

Hey Billy,

Welcome to the TreeHouse.

I may be able to help, I know some folks that are always looking for quality. and if you're good they'll pay you what you're worth.

Hope heights don't scare you.

PM me if you're into it.

Billy, what I did when I worked without a visa in the US, was getting a good travel insurance from home before leaving.
That way, when I dislocated my right shoulder, and needed medical help, I could get reimbursed.
I did it doing martial arts, but if it had been while working, I would have told the insurance company, that it had been while doing martial arts.
Fraud, yes. But in a small way.

Also, the further north from the mexican border you go, the more lax the visa controls get.
I mean, you never se a roadblock with police checking every occupant of every passing car in Oregon the way you do in Texas or Arizona.
So going north makes for an easier life.

Big companies and anything municipal or in any other way official are out. Try smaller "ma and pa" outfits, chances are much bigger to land an "under the table" job there.

The above was an excerpt from the book: " How to become a succesful wetback" By Stig;)

Welcome to the Tree house Billy.:)

Stig has offered some good advice.
In another field of work, Scandinavian dog handlers are hired in much the same way.;)
Anyway enjoy your time here.:)
Sorry I can't help with West coast contacts. All the ones I know have checked in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appriciate everyones input. Want to make the most of everyday on the trip. I feel if I can see how things are done over in the states it will really add to the experience. So what is the story with you guys, how and where to you operate?!

Nor Cal Here
Deva probabally has better sources of reliable work since he's in the city
if ya want to get lost in time in the woods, this is a great spot, especially if your camping
sorry i cant lodge you at my residence, but theres good camping near by
our work is sporadic
but fun, big scary trees
i could set ya up for some rec climbing
and i am a small mom and pop out fit, my moms from carnforth
and i dont mind paying a traveler in greenbacks
are you bringing your gear?
redwoods sound fun?
cal bodeva(deva) or that tree guy
in rio dell ca

Appriciate everyones input. Want to make the most of everyday on the trip. I feel if I can see how things are done over in the states it will really add to the experience. So what is the story with you guys, how and where to you operate?!

I'm in Ceres, CA, but currently working about 1 day a week. Thattreeguy, I think Deva has already said that he can hook him up.

Yeah steve, i got that,
but we are in a far different area for work up here,
not as much reular work currently
but like tommorow we are taking down a 150 to 180 ft leaning fir, 4.5 ft accross pullin with hay wire if a dutchman wont turn it

falling 13 120 ft ,2 ft dia firs
and rigging out a 36 in dia fir over a home, conked and nasty,
not a lot of limbs, maybe 2 dozen, and the tops missing at 80 ft
but its against the home and a bit tight of a spot to dump the stick
theres a handul of other trees similar size to deadwood
haul a 1/2 to a full log truck of wood out
2.5 days
clean up everything
robert phillips' dad did the consult, we are just the low bidder
right on the river in piercy, behind the new reggae on the river site.

much different than average everyday homeowner or municipal jobs
its like vacation in the scenery
the work is punishing, but in a beautiful kindapeaceful way

So Billy,

If you want to come to California, I'd do it.
Three months stay is what I gather, you want.

San Francisco rent is very high. Even sublets. Craigslist.com has them.
I know at least 4 different friends' companies I could personally call for you
and see if they would have work, these companies are all
north of the city by about 35-45 minutes. More rural and country like.
Sonoma, Forest Knolls, Santa Rosa, Marin County.
I'm sure they'd love to have you do their dirty work for them.

They are always looking for proficient climbers.
If you climb smooth, efficient and productive,
It shan't be difficult to find work.

Though if you're trying to camp, I'd try Humboldt with TTG.
Spotty fun work in a beautiful place is better than a commute.

If you want to check out Muir woods or just visit the city and climb
something here recreationally give me a buzz (pm).

Deva

well said deva!
way to help out a traveler, your further north than i thought you were
hey do you guys get up as far as hopland ?
thread de railing on my part sorry

Back