Class 2 Splices

• Thread starter MaxfromVienna
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 2K
M

MaxfromVienna

Nick said:
Max- if you'd like to go into detail, these would be great questions to start new threads on. But briefly: 8mm beeline is spliced with a locking brummell in the core, with the eye exposed...

Thanks for the Answer Nick !

@ Beeline 8mm: That's looking like this, right ?

blinelan-500.gif

Why is that better than Class 1 Double Braid Splice, you just got the breaking Strenght of the Core left ?
Are there Directions of the Manufacturers for this Type of Splice (and how is it called btw :spin:) ?
What length has the Bury?

How do you splice Beeline 10mm ?

Lot's of Questions, please share youre thoughts with me all of you Splicers out there (over there ?), and probably Nick ...

Greetings from Austria/Europe,

Max

Max- Beeline is a type of rope fits into a category that has several names. Some call them high-modulus ropes (aka high-mod), or high tech, or Class II. These are ropes that are core-dependent for their strength. The cores are usually made out of something like, dyneema (spectra), kevlar, technora, PoBon, vectran, etc.

For beeline- the core is vectran. It holds all of the strength of the rope. The cover is there just to protect the core. For tree climbers, it also serves as the interface to the climbing system. It provides the right amount of friction.

The directions from the manufacturer say to splice it just like the picture you show. There are a few ways to accomplish it, though. The easiest to understand is as follows:

1. Remove core completely from cover. You now have 2 separate pieces of rope in your hands.
2. Splice locking brummels on each side of the core. The buried tail should be 6" long.
3. Cut the cover to the right length
4. Slip cover over the spliced core, then whip down the ends.

That's it. Ideally, you'd dip the exposed eye into something to keep the strands together and as protected as possible.

Does that make sense?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does absolutely make sense, thanks !

I am just curios about the strenght: The cover of Beeline 8mm is 75% Technora, right ? Its hard for me to believe that its not load bearing ?!

Maybe because it lacks of something between cover and core to transfer the load, like in double Braid Dyneema Ropes ? (a "Between-Core" ? I dont know how its named in English, sorry.)

What do you think about just making a Class1 Eye2Eye Splice on Beeline (thats what I do) ? Do you see any risk on that ?

And how about abrasion on the exposed Eyes, isnt that a problem ?
Therefore you mean to dip it into something if I understood it right, what stuff do you mean to dip it in ?

Because high-mod lines are so slippery, their performance when spliced as class I is reduced. Though tests show that a clas I splice in 8mm beeline "will hold a good load," this is not the right splice for the line.

Not only that, the class I splice makes the rope stiffer much more than the proper beeline splice does.

I recommend sticking with the proper splice.

Many people use this product for dipping the eye
252983_d.jpg

I think most people will agree that abrasion of the exposed eye isn't a problem.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the result of my first attempt:

Dont know if I really like it yet...

Do you dip the whole Eye in the stuff (or what do you use) ?

Could you maybe show a close up of one of your Beeline or HRC Eye2Eye ?

Max just the eye and maybe a bit of the cover to help stop the ends fraying. don't go mental, i put two coats on some beeline and it's still ridgid years later (it's not a hitch cord)

Jamie

Back