Expanding foam

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
F

Frans

Has there been any new research into using expanding foam to fill cavities?
Last I heard it doesn't do anything harmful or good.

All the foam i run into around here is holding water like a sponge. But come to think of it, it seems to be in the tree pretty firmly. If it wasnt slowing the decay wouldn't it loosen up? Hmmmm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
epoxy is a non-permeable coating. Why on earth would you paint with epoxy? Any arborist who has done a smidgen of research knows how detrimental sealing water in a cavity is.

Cement should not even be brought up in this discussion.
Why not say foam is better than cutting the tree down? Specious point that means nothing to the discussion at hand. Might as well talk about the weather.

The whole idea is to discover some sort of substance which would not seal water in, but also reinforce the weak area and slow or stop decay and, hopefully, promote callus wood.

Thanks Willie, water holding is one of my concerns. But if the water evaporates... maybe its all right. I truly don't know.

Meh, until there is some solid research to back it up, I choose to let mother nature take its course. No foam, no fillers, just keep the tree healthy and leave the cavities alone. :drink:

You don't think foam will hold water in?

Maybe I could have explained the process in more detail, but
since you're quick to jump my ass today... I won't bother.
Sure I think it would 'hold' water much the way a sponge 'holds' water. But perhaps the foam would allow it to evaporate.

As for 'jumping your a--' I only do that to folks when I perceive that they are just posting to post, not contributing. Its called trolling.

cmon erik don't be tho thenthitive.

I like the sounds of experimenting with foam and epoxy. Not every wound should become a critter condo. Trees first!

I like my tin snips,
i cut out little tin roofs to put over the tops of cavities to try to deflect the water,
on occasion ive drilled a relief hole,
just to let it drain down and out rather than pool, but that was on a tree that was going to be removed later
havent tried foam, or epoxy

Trees are wet and have moisture. You cannot 'seal out moisture' by painting because all this does is trap moisture inside which promotes decay.

What causes decay is when air and moisture meet.

A good example I heard some time ago is to think of a pier.
At the junction of the pilings and the water is where rot happens. Not below the water line, and not above the water line.

Another example is to think of a sunken wooden ship. A ship may sit for centuries on the bottom of the ocean/lake, whatever, and remain intact. But take a wooden ship and sink it so it is partially covered, and that ship will rapidly decay.

What I have read is the standing water in cavities becomes anaerobic. The decaying organisims need oxygen so the standing water actually keeps the decay process lowered, of course it dries up in the summer and the process begins again the next winter

I used some "Great Stuff" aerosol foam to seal minor cavities in the Tree House when it sprung a leak after the major work we did on it.

Great Stuff worked to seal the leak and the Tree House remains dry inside today, but that chit got on my ropes and made it darn near impossible to rappel out of the tree. I found out it pays not to be too sloppy with it.

Back