Supplementing tree work...

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
So, cutting away from the 'How's business' thread...

How many are doing other stuff to supplement the tree work?

I've got a client who is fed up with her landscapers being an ignorant bunch of whatsits...she's asked me to renovate the perennial beds, and tell her what needs to be done in the garden, this could go on for quite some time...
Its been a long time since I humped compost and dug over planting beds, but, hey its helping to make out a week's pay. All those years of landscaping are coming back to pay again!

fire clearance
landscape repair
used potting soil removal
firewood
might start a landcare division
all the gardners are retired mill workers
only a few master gardners in town
so the knowledge and skill applying the tools isnt quite up to par
have lots of requests
some interest in it, but i hate weekly stuff, i'll do it if it gets much worse

I'll mulch occasionally, and edge some beds. Nothing on a regular basis though, not enough money and hurts my back more than trees do.

Just buildt a wood shed for an old client.

Also, this summer we'll be clearing unwanted vegetation out of 55 kilometer waterway, ditches, creeks etc.
Denmark being flat, water has a tough time making it to the sea, so someone has to cut all the aquatic plants out of the creeks and such, to ensure that the water flows.
2½ months in waders with a cutter or a pitchfork.
We get paid by the meter, so by working hard, it is possible to make reasonable money, but it is hard and dirty work.
( Kind of like treework:))

Yup shrubs are woody plants too so they are the arborist's work imo.

hiring a landscape architect student for the summer so will be including more design in consultations, and more renovation work this summer.

I do just about anything up high. I clean gutters, de-moss roofs, sweep chimneys, etc. I've even installed a couple ham radio antennas and satellite dishes.

Lots of tree planting, will be doing a high end landscape install around a pool next week. Working on a bid for a post and rail fence job as well. Right now I turn nothing away that i know i am capable of doing, and doing well.

I do random side work, like today I knocked this little repair job out for one of my biggest clients.

A mulching attachment to their Scag. They keep running it into stuff, folding it in and eating the flange off. The new one is somewhat more substantial. Not very trick fabrication, they wanted it done quick and efficent. I made my hourly tree rate, and they got a heck of a deal.

DSC05635.jpg

DSC05636.jpg

DSC05638.jpg

ETA The welds up there ^^^ look like hell from that angle.
DSC05637.jpg

I've gotta make a coulpe of AC cages for that client, perhaps over the weekend.

I also still have to carve out that bullet mold, for a different fellow.

One of my clients in Catheys Valley wanted me to stack hay and fill in a septic tank hole. Told her I was too busy.... If I was slow in the fall I would do it. Any takers?

This week I cut off the top of some poles with big ass lights on them for a ball field while a crane lifted them away. It was fun and paid well.8)

I think that if you don't diversify than you will have a lot of down time this Yr. , I will not sit the trucks and men if there is landscaping work to be done we'll gladly do it , I don't feel bad for a minute because three yrs. ago half the landscapers bought tree equipment and did'nt think about it for a second. Specialty companies are a luxury now..

Carl it looks like you might be pulling your weld rather than pushing it.

Carl it looks like you might be pulling your weld rather than pushing it.

I was pushing, the fit up was pretty rough as the bottom was bowed out.

I'll take another look when I deliver the AC cages. Ever since I took that picture it's been bugging me pretty bad. I might steel it back and tighty it up if it really looks that rough.

Got one framed up this afternoon, it replaces the one the tree tore up (fell on it and the appartment during a storm a month ago). The plan is to build the other and put in the expanded metal tomorrow:
DSC05639.jpg

ETA, now that I think more about it I think I did switch to pulling. If Idda known that picture was going to bother me so... :|:

Back