Removing cylinder gasket

• Thread starter sothere
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 3K
S

sothere

I recently saw a thread about removing the gasket and wonder about checking squish before and after.
If this is easy enough I may try it on a 651 Solo,455 Husq. or a 310 Stihl.
Any advice?

Soft small diameter electrical solder on four points on the outside edge of the piston crown, held by grease, or through the plug hole.

Most saws have enough clearance as gaskets usually are very thin these day's.

You really put balls of solder in the saw to see if it turns over?

He puts it on the piston with a dab of grease to hold it in place. Then bolts cylinder down, tuns engine over and removes cylinder again to measure

He puts it on the piston with a dab of grease to hold it in place. Then bolts cylinder down, tuns engine over and removes cylinder again to measure

:headbang:

Take off the ring(s), you don't need them to check clearance. Makes for easier cylinder on and off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So which of the 3 should I do,I have the most money in the 455 but it has a de-comp valve which might be benificial after surgery

I can see this being a good thing if you build a saw for performance and need to calculate the volumes before and after compression.

But to see if it is clear or not on a saw for toy, this is way to complicating....

KISS! I tell myself this every morning (after I cussed a bit over how tiny space there is).

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Like I said in another thread ,removing the gasket should decrease the clearance by about 18 thou on a Stihl .This is figuring 20 thou for the gasket and adding about 2 thou for sealant .

What it will do is increase the comp ratio but likely decrease the top speed because the exhaust is ported a tad late . It should raise the torque a tad bit though .

One thing about it ,by just removing the gasket you can't really screw anything up .If it doesn't work out just stick the gasket back in .

Back