eye 2 eye locked brummel

• Thread starter sarthur
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 4K
S

sarthur

so im new to splicing and have had great success with my first whoopie sling :D good times!

im looking to have a go at making an eye to eye sling and am a little confused as to how to get the second locked brummel with out having to push the first threw the tail of the second before burrying. is that the only way or is there some trick to it?

any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

That's the way I was taught at the symposium. But they called it an inverted locked brummel.

You can also do a standard brummel on the other end. Just have to remember to sew it.

Great directions for the mobius brummel. Precourt makes GREAT stuff, some of which is great for tree workers, too! I haven't been to their site in a while. I'll add their splicing directions to the collection of splicing directions I have on my website (subtle plug, huh?!).

Sam, the mobius brummel is easy to do, though some people have trouble understanding it. Give it a couple shots and it should work out alright.

Big question is, what rope are you using? If it is a soft rope like Yalex, you might find it easy to just push the whole eye right through the rope. I find this to be faster than the Mobius.

Either will be just fine.

Can we see some pics of your work?!?!

love
nick

You can also do a standard brummel on the other end. Just have to remember to sew it.

RD-I'm not picking on you...but I gotta ask: If you're doing a standard (non locked) splice on one side, why not do it on both? When I see a splice locked on one side, but not the other, it looks to me like someone didn't wanna go the extra inch to make a good sling a great sling.

I am a big fan of the locked brummel and use it whenever possible, which is almost always.

love
nick

Nick, I'm also a huge fan of the locked brummel. Just put that one up there because I remember Rich saying it's actually stronger, and that if you're splicing directly onto hardware of some sort, then you can't do a locked brummel on both ends.

But I agree, whenever I can I will use a locked brummel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the welcoming comments guys, much appreciated! Thought id jump strait in at the deep end and hope for the best 8)
Lumberjack: that PDF is just the job; id thought there must be a trick to it. Cheers.
Nick: at the moment I’m just using the inner from a length of prussik line that I got me hands on but is not fit for climbing, Its seems to be the same construction as the 12 strand stuff like Tennex. I’m hoping to get the technique down with that before I move onto using stuff I actually have to pay for. Ill be using Tennex for the actual work as that seem to be the only stuff available by the meter in the UK.
In regards to pictures ill pop a couple on soon as well as a couple of other ideas I’ve been playing with for redirects using the sheath :roll:

Cheers for all the help.

Tennex isn't 16 strand, and the core of 16 strand isn't load bearing.

Pretty sure you can buy just about any rope by the meter in the UK.

Ooops typo, my bad. ive looked around the websites i no of and it seems to be all i can find, any sugestions?

also i no the core isnt load baring im just using it to practice the splices on, but cheers for the warning.

The core of most 16 strand is 3 strand?

Check over at www.arbtalk.co.uk , they should be better able to find you a supplier, or several of them, including the owner, are members here. (Pete McTree, Blue, High Climber, Steve Bullman, ect).

i beleive the stuff i have i double braid from beal. it has a braided core and sheath

Ah, it's core is a hollow braid and a brummel would work for that, although it's only for practice.

sarthur, Tenex is the only stuff you can find over here, i'm sure there would be some places that might stock Yalex but don't go holding your breath. in the past i've spliced marlow D12 which is a 12 strand hollow dyneema rope, quite stiff and low low melting point. i'm not a fan or marlow

Jamie (another 'brit' Carl:cry:)

ach well thats ok then. suppose i'll just have to keep my ticks to myself then:lol:.

there are quite a few tree supply companys just most sell tenex if they sell anything

Jamie

Hollow braid in the UK

Try ropeworkuk.com for Allgear Tec and TecVec hollow braid prussik rope.:D

Back