028 Score!

• Thread starter cutitup
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 3K
C

cutitup

Did a job on Sat. Two ash tree's needed to go and one oak. The ash trees had to be climbed but I could just bomb away so not to difficult.
Anyhow I told the HO the price and all before I started and got to work. I'm finishing up and he says "could you use another saw?". So I tell him no thanks I'm pretty well fixed for saws but thanks anyway - I'm thinking it's a craftsman or wild thing or such like. He then comes walking outta his shed a few miniutes later with one of the older stihl cases. Says to me "why don't you just take a look at it? I haven't used it in 10 years or more and have no need for it anymore." So I pop the case open and low and behold it's a sweet 028! I'd say it's like 80%++ condition. Then he says I can have it! No Sir! I'll take some off the bill I tell him. He's happy as a clam and so am I! Oh, and I took it home dumped out the stale fuel pulled it three times and had it running like a champ. It still has both the original bar and sprocket. And it has never seen any ethanol! :D

Good deal, those were sweet saws in their day. Still better than many in the same size and weight class. :thumbup:

Did the model of the 028 where engaging the chainbrake activated a clutch mechanism, which made the engine able to freewheel ever make it to the states?
A workmate of mine bought one of those in the mid 70es, the system didn't hold up well and I believe Stihl rebuild them to the
" standard" brakesystem. It was really smart, though. You could start the saw and warm it up, and then disengage the brake and cut.
Would have been great for a climbing saw.

I've never seen any like that .They just had the regular brake system .

I did some work last winter on an 028 super that belonged to one of the trimmers .Good little saw then some SOB stole it after I did all that work .:(

Did the model of the 028 where engaging the chainbrake activated a clutch mechanism, which made the engine able to freewheel ever make it to the states?
A workmate of mine bought one of those in the mid 70es, the system didn't hold up well and I believe Stihl rebuild them to the
" standard" brakesystem. It was really smart, though. You could start the saw and warm it up, and then disengage the brake and cut.
Would have been great for a climbing saw.

Yes Stig but they are very rare. A friend has one in his collection. They had an alloy tank housing and that plus the clutch mechanism made the saw pretty heavy.

I have one, a freebie from the refuse disposal place. I usually use the 036 though, since it's lighter. Still, a very dependable saw. I tossed the base gasket, no other mods. Made it meaner.

Good on ya!

I've never had the occasion to read the port timing on an 028 .I imagine however it is long ported on the exhaust which would tend to increase the torque much like the 038 series .

Removing the base gasket would not only raise the comp ratio but also hold the power stroke a tad bit longer .This should increase the torque at the expensive of a few rpm's perhaps .A good trade off I imagine .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guy's! I just came in from giving it a good going over. It's like it has been in a time warp for 20yrs. I put a tank of fuel though it just toying with it and making cookies. It's fine! I'm gonna put'er on the shelf and have her ready as a soild back up ground saw. Oh, and for you collectors out there it's a 028 AV "Wood Boss" version.
And to think I kept trying to tell the guy I'm not interested :|:

028!!

Love my 028AVSEQ ...:)

Attachments

• 100_3001 (Small).jpg
    100_3001 (Small).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2989 (Small).jpg
    100_2989 (Small).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2990 (Small).jpg
    100_2990 (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 57
I loved my 028! At the time it was a great saw.

I don't think that 3 cubers ,like the 028 were ever meant to be a pro type saw .More so a higher priced firewood cutter .

Back