What chain manufacturer as you running??

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Just curious as to what everyone here is running. We run all Stihl products on every Stihl saw, so Stihl chain and bars.

Heard some good things on Oregon though. Any advantage over Stihl?

I run Stihl chain on all my saws. I do run some Oregon, but it is a softer chain. It dulls quicker, but is also easier on files. I think the extra money for Stihl is well spent, I'd rather be sawing than sharpening.

Oregon chain is noticably softer than Stihl chain. Some people prefer the softer steel because it is easier to file. I prefer the harder Stihl chain because it holds an edge much longer.

Also, the Stihl chain is prestretched so it rarely needs adjustment. I think this results in less sprocket wear as well.

Oregon chain is noticably softer than Stihl chain. Some people prefer the softer steel because it is easier to file. I prefer the harder Stihl chain because it holds an edge much longer.

Also, the Stihl chain is prestretched so it rarely needs adjustment. I think this results in less sprocket wear as well.

Yup!

I like Oregon chain. It is softer but I hand file exclusively and enjoy the easier filing. I find the Stihl chain for the 200Ts to be a pain to sharpen at first unless you use a slightly larger file.

I run Stihl chain on all my saws. I do run some Oregon, but it is a softer chain. It dulls quicker, but is also easier on files. I think the extra money for Stihl is well spent, I'd rather be sawing than sharpening.

I was wondering why my files haven't been lasting as long. And I was enjoying the long periods between sharpening until I started letting the groundies use the saws. :|:

I'll probably start making my own chain pretty soon, and I'll buy Oregon chain reels for the ground saws, and stihl for the tree saws.

Used Oregon for years, both bulk and pre-made loops from Baileys, but now only Stihl whenever possible. I can tell if it's Oregon or Stihl by the sound the file makes when pushed across the tooth, big difference in edge holding properties, imo.

I run mostly Carlton. It is between the hardness of Oregon and Stihl and is an excellent value. However, Stihl really DOES make the best chain.

I run Carlton as well on most saws. Only because I get it dirt cheap, but I find it a pretty good chain.

Stihl on the 200.8)

I've got chain made by about every manufactureer ever in business. Stihl is likely the best but at the price it should be .

Oregon is the easiest to file and by far the easiest to reprofile for a race chain .

Carlton seems to work out well but on some of the chisel you have to kind of have to watch the way you file it . Oregon uses a compound angle on the top plate while some if not all of Carlton is straight across .It doesn't do well with a compound angle which I found out the hard way .

Right now I bought 2 loops of Oregon. I won't do it ever again. Like said, Stihl holds edge much longer (or until my bro cuts dirt), the Oregon has been tightened 2 times since I've put it on, which I never remember doing with Stihl chain. I was quoted $460 from an a-hole dealer, if I can find it in the low 3's from my usual dealer I am going to get a role for the big saws.

Have numerous loops and keep the Stihl seperate as it's hard on files,a file that won't touch Stihl will still work on the others.
I curse the complications of organization but I hate tossing files as well.

If I were a pro I'de use Stihl exclusivley,but as a recreational cutter I look at it simply,I learned to file for a reason and it's all part of the game.
I'm reluctant to let anyone else use my saws so if they are dull it's me that did it.

I do and always have run Oregon.
I don't like filing Stihl chain, it simply doesn't feel right to me.
Not a valid argument, I know, but you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.

Mostly Oregon, I do have a few Woodsman pro (Carlton) chains though.
None of the Stihl dealers here will cut you a deal on chain, all list price. While I do feel Stihl is the best out there it's not worth 2x the price over Oregon from Baileys.

Ed

Hey Al, how's that Stihl RS square ground working for you?
It's being used in a test with other chains . I'll have it back in a couple of weeks .

I don't know how many types or brands are involved ,Oregon I'm sure plus the square ground Stihl .

I have one 36" loop of Stihl square in .404 that I run on my large Homelite on occasions and it cuts great . I've yet to resharped it . Good thing because up until recently I would have filed it incorrectly .I know how to now .

I only use the stuff for say a take down or blocking freshly dropped stuff because it's susceptible to dirt etc .No sense screwing up a good chain on firewood .

I run Carlton on my small saw because bar & chain cost $ 20.00
Stihl on all my big saws. Stihl is all i ever used before i got my top handle Echo. witch came the a Oregon. That chain suck.
when the Carlton chains ware out i will replace with Stihl.

I run mostly Windsor on my saws, same as Oregon...

I File a lot of Oregon chains and the new "X" series are a bit tuffer IMO..
Not the steel itself, that is the same, but the chrome wrapped is a but tuffer and holds edge a bit more. This way it lasts a tad longer and is not hard to file.
It is same "Super 70" Tooth with exception of being a tad harder and blue, like Stihls are.
Windsor is the same as old LP chain from Oregon.

I filed most chains and brands. I used many different files and I must say Pferd takes the cake on the files. Smooth, even surface that makes the edge last.
I am one of those that rather file a tiny bit every fill up than spend 5 min when it is really dull.

From my experiance I can't see any differance in the cutting of Stihl or Oregon.
I see no differance here in the stretching of them either.

Windsor and Oregon most of the time i get them dirt cheap from a dealer i know :)
sometimes i use Stihl chain and it's a nice chain no doubt !!

I run Stihl by the roll. I can get Stihl for around 250 a roll at a couple dealers. I resharpen with a razur sharp II square grinder so filing isnt an issue. Tried Oregon just a little to soft for my likes.

Back