My groundie stole a saw...

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 4K
B

Blinky

He answered a Craig's List ad for a like new Husky 372 for $75. The owner said it ran but it wouldn't cut.

He took it home, took the chain off, turned over so the teeth faced the right way and put it back on. Voila, a new kickass 372! The saw had never even gone through a single round of wood, $75.

Seller beware.

Normally, I'm kicking myself in delight when a tossed or cheaply sold saw can be easily put back into good working order, to become of considerably appreciated value, but in this case, I believe that it is only just to offer the seller back his saw.

Almost can't believe I'm saying that.

I got a brand new 024 like that. The only thing wrong with it was that they had the wrong sized sprocket on it and the chain wouldn't run.

Normally, I'm kicking myself in delight when a tossed or cheaply sold saw can be easily put back into good working order, to become of considerably appreciated value, but in this case, I believe that it is only just to offer the seller back his saw.

Almost can't believe I'm saying that.

I don't fully agree with that. I see two possibilities here:

Either the saw was stolen and the guy just wanted to unload it quickly,

or, the seller is so ignorant that he didn't know how to install a chain or even realize that it was on backward; in which case he shouldn't be using a chainsaw in the first place.

I don't fully agree with that. I see two possibilities here:

Either the saw was stolen and the guy just wanted to unload it quickly,

or, the seller is so ignorant that he didn't know how to install a chain or even realize that it was on backward; in which case he shouldn't be using a chainsaw in the first place.

I'm going with the later of these choices!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It hadn't occurred to me it was stolen. I got the impression the seller was a middle aged guy but he didn't really say.

He said he felt a little guilty about it but seemed to have no sympathy for the seller. I'll ask him some more about it tomorrow.

I relieved a fellow of a 660 with 36" bar, a HT131 pole saw, and Buckingham gaffs with cadillac pads for 1100$, all of it used for less than an hour. I told myself he was much safer without any of it. At any rate he needed the money for booze anyways...

About that 372 though, that's a strange one. Maybe a really proud guy, couldn't admit to not knowing what was wrong with it?

Oooorrrrr...stolen.

with so much logging and firewood 'round here , during the summer flea market / tag sale season LOTS of saws pop up .... many are sold by people who don't run'em or know the value ...

It hadn't occurred to me it was stolen. I got the impression the seller was a middle aged guy but he didn't really say.

Is there an honesty gene that kicks in at age 40?:D

I have had to explain to my boys that just because someone is old like Grandma & Grampa, doesn't mean that that they aren't a$$holes. If they were when they were younger, chances are they will be when they are older. I think honesty works the same way.

As for the saw, what goes around, comes around.

Actually it could be yours.

Did he buy it on his way to work or on his way home? Insurance here says you are on the payroll on your way to and from work. :)

I wish something like this would happen to me for a saw like that. It would be nice to say the least.

I wouldn't feel bad just because the chain was on backwards. I have picked up saws for dirt cheap or free and all that was wrong with them was a plugged fuel filter. Why feel bad just because someone isn't saw savvy. The man was asking $75 and your guy bought it for $75, deal done and life goes on.

Everyone seems to find deals on Craig's list but I haven't seen any. Craig's list is like shopping the misc for sale in the local paper. As far as saws go it is usually the same old hobby, box store, type saws. The good ones are being sold for top dollar e-bay prices, many of the them are linked over to e-bay.

Heck of a deal on that 372.

A local guy has been trying to sell a 'like new' 2100 for the last few months on craigslist. He started at 1200$, now he's down to 800$ or so...'most powerful saw husky ever built.'

A local guy has been trying to sell a 'like new' 2100 for the last few months on craigslist. He started at 1200$, now he's down to 800$ or so...'most powerful saw husky ever built.'

I thought the 3120 was the biggest powerhead that Husqvarna made?

Back