Kroil

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Great stuff for those that try to unstick stuck stuff .I've used it for everything you can imagine .

Recently I was given an old boat anchor Lombard saw that an Idaho faller drug half way across the US to give to me .The damned thing was made in 1956 ,can you imagine that ?

I drowned the piston through the plug hole and open exhaust a few days ago with good old Kroil and danged if it didn't roll over .

The recoil was stuck tighter than a bulls arse at fly time.About two soakings with the magic lotion and I freed it up too . That old duffer might run within the next several days .Stranger things have happened .:)

is that a spray AL?

41CV94FBDZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I just read somewhere that if you mix acetone and auto tranny fluid 50/50 it makes an excellent penetrating oil for cheap. I have been a PB fan for years. Years ago my uncle brought a can of STP penetrating oil from California. The stuff was great. I looked for it every time I went in a likely store and that is how I found PB. The can looked kind of hokey but it works. I hooked all my friends up on it. Got to try the acetone tranny oil thing and see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no doubt that some of these super penatrants are nothing but a solvent and some oil based product . Whatever they are they work which is the main thing .

There used to be some nasty smelling stuff called liquid wrench that did pretty good too but I haven't seen any in years .

It shouldn't .The seals generally are made of Buna-n /nitrile which is oil resistant .Although I will admit they can deteriate over time .

I think though in most cases the deteriation is caused by heat .

Right, but ATF is chlorinated nowadays. Modern ATF will swell up old seals.
With that in mind then the newer trannys must use Viton or some other type more durable type material for seals .

I really don't know myself having only worked on trannys that used Dextron II type fluids . That type by the way is what we run in the splitters becuase it will flow at sub zero temperatures .Not that it's very pleasant to work in those extremes but it's done on occasion .

For what it's worth the symbol > is also used in computor logic in a program we call "string logic " .

Cobleskill, Re Acetone and ATF. A few years ago Gun Crank/Engineer Ed Harris set out to duplicate General Julian Hatcher's bore solvent and guncleaner. Hatcher's formula had esoteric ingredients like Sperm oil. Harris' modern rendition is exceedingly simple, cheap and works a charm. Equal parts of Dexron type ATF, Acetone, Mineral spirits and K1 Kerosene. A bit of anhydrous lanolin can be addd whickh makes it a better longterm (over 1 year or exposed to water washing) corrosion inhibitor...but it isn't required for general use. Ed's Red as this stuff is called amongst the gun nutts who use it ss a great cleaner, lubricant and preservative. The solvents cut everything (but can damage some plastics) It flows and creeps readily into crevices. The solvents evaporate leaving a small ammount of light lubricant that is resistant to gumming and oxidation (that is the ATF of course). Just ATF and acetone would flow and penetrate well.....but the acetone evaporates so very fast that it can create problems in working time. Ed's formula manages to create a nearly pH neutral blend that penetrates and works for a while and then leaves an evenly distributed lubricating and oxidation resistant residue.

My dad had some special precision gauge oil that would siphon past the treads in a mason jar . I think it was a mixture of DMSO and some thin oil product .

After he retired in 1980 his hobby was restoring old Jeeps to like new condition .He must have done a few dozen . Needless to say in dealing with old stuff he became very good at unsticking stuck things .

Back