Spiking....

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Had a quick question in regards to spiking trees. Possibly this upcoming weekend I may be doing a small take down of a sweet gum. Tree is around 50' tall, with around 25 to 30 of that just trunk. It's around 24" DBH. We pruned it a year ago, so the top is nice and open right now. My question is, when you have the choice, do you spike or set your climbline and climb up. I've spiked a few trees, and this would be good practice, but those few times I've learned it seems easier if you have the option, to set your climbline and go up that way.(homeowners will also be watching, so I don't want to look like a complete idiot.)

It's always nice to have a line set and someone belaying you as you spur up, but you can just as easily go without it.

On a tree like that, I'd just spike up it... with a lanyard, of course.

24" diameter? Just spike up (with a lanyard of course). Use your lifeline as a second lanyard so when you come to limbs you can lanyard in above the limb before unhooking your other lanyard below the limb.

Brett, quit that. :P

Also RADA you will at times appear to be a complete idiot to the home owners it simply can't be avoided ... spike and safety that stem ... when you get to the limbs and set your line you will look like a seasoned pro ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks!!! I think I'll set my lifeline and just spike up, while I'm belayed from the ground. My last couple of tries at spiking I was getting ok at it, where I didn't make a complete fool of myself.

Just have to get used to the feeling of standing on them for a while. Maybe a pair of Wesco's this summer will help with that!!

Adrian, the good news is that 2' diam is probably the easiest diam to climb. If you have a slack tender pully below your hitch let some one tend slack from your tie in while you flipline your way up. Keep your shoulders about arms length from the trunk, that will help keep your spurs in the wood at a good angle.

Thanks!!! I think I'll set my lifeline and just spike up, while I'm belayed from the ground. My last couple of tries at spiking I was getting ok at it, where I didn't make a complete fool of myself.

Just have to get used to the feeling of standing on them for a while. Maybe a pair of Wesco's this summer will help with that!!

Spending ridiculous amounts of money on gear always makes ME feel better! :D Maybe it will work for you too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the tip also Willie. I have a bridge extender that I use with my hitchclimber, so that should help keep my climbing system out of the way while I spike my way up.

I'm also happy I have Jerry's video. His spiking segment is great for beginners like myself!

Spiking really well is deceptively difficult, one of the hardest things in tree work to become really smooth at. Take your time and pay attention to every spike placement.

When I first started climbing a guy told me find a tree that doesn't matter if it gets hurt and spike up it a couple of steps, to where your only a foot or two off the ground. Then set your lanyard and walk in circles around the tree, do it until you can do it without using your hands. Once you get comfortable moving in the tree than going up isn't that hard. Also try to do it with out watching your feet, get used to knowing when the spike is set by the feel of it in the tree.

Interesting, but I'm confused about spiking "without using your hands."

Interesting, but I'm confused about spiking "without using your hands."

It's just an unusual move you master so you'll feel more at ease later in the Real World when you're doing it. I do it all the time working my way around a big cut using a larger saw- walking around the tree with both hands on the 044, 066, whatever.
I think it do to lake of time on my spikes.

I agree. ;)

Ninja_Hand_Spikes.jpg

Just lean back and keep the lanyard taut so it does not slide down.

Flakey Foont learned how, but it took him a while.

Back