parts that break

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 2K
S

sytherstrike

The guy I'm working for right now has 4 main saws. A 020t, 046, 066 and an 088. We've been experiancing some technical difficulties with the 2 biggest ones. The chain tensioner L bracket with pin, well the pin broke off both saws. Is that a normal wear item?? Also just before I started working for him the local saw shop did a tune up on the 066, they forgot to snug up the new spark plug and it vibrated out of the saw. I also think they set the carb with the loose spark plug. I put the plug back in and it snugged down good. I then set the carb put an edge on it and the boss told me he couldn't remember the last time it cut so fast. Anyways while the boss was running it the spark plug blew out of the saw flew about 40 feet. I found the spark plug and imediatly check it for signs of running lean or rich, and it showed it was running exactly what where it was supposed to. So is it possible to helicoil that or is that a new top end??

The pin breaking off, usually a sign of abusive use, like tightening the chain when the side cover nuts are still too tight.

I think there was some discussion here about helicoils for spark plug holes, anybody have a link? I think it was possibly Al, who mentioned his experience doing it.

Helicoil will be your quickest and least expensive option. No experience with them but I'd think it would work fine. Otherwise you're looking at either a new or used OEM jug, or else buying an aftermarket piston and cylinder from Bailey's.

And I agree with Jay- The adjustment pin breaking is just operator abuse, muscling the saw too hard. They aren't that expensive though.

you can helicoil the plug holes. We used to do it all the time on the 266 Huskys.
The chain tensioner does break it's shit metal, and if you don't have the bar nut loose enough and try to adjust the chain you are hosed. Also sprockets bust, as do unlubed clutch bearings. jesus clips pop off into space, barnuts come loose and dissapear at the most inopportune times, plugs DO foul, and do to our own misgivings and those of the chainsaws, screws vibrate loose.
I carry the basics in a little plastic container, Minus the Helicoil kit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The pin breaking off, usually a sign of abusive use, like tightening the chain when the side cover nuts are still too tight.

That would make sense, I've never had one break on me, before these two. I make sure the cover isn't tight when I snug up the chain, it prolly just got weak form other guys doing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just looked at the jug kit for the 66 at baileys. That looks like a good way to pep up a tired saw, and I hate heli coils I told the boss he couldn't pay me enough to do it, so he told me he was taking it to the same shop that might have messed it up in the first place, so I might try convincing him to go with the big bore kit.

If you do get the aftermarket big bore kit, please be sure and read the thread on my 460 rebuild. http://www.gypoclimber.com/showthread.php?t=11852
Some very smart guys (such as Eddie) posted some very important and helpful information on installing the big bore kit. There are a couple spots you may have to file on for clearance. He posted excellent pictures and details. Start at post #41.

Helicoils are the first line repair option .If they don't work,a regular threaded insert .After that a new cylinder . An improperly tightened plug will screw up the plug hole ,toot sweet . Once the threads are wallered out ,they won't hold ,you have to do repairs of some sort . Rather than purchase the kit for a one of repair it would be cost effective to have a shop do it .--but don't let them do it with the cylinder on the saw .A lead pipe cinch they will get metal shavings in the cylinder by that method .

Two things that mess up tighteners .Either not loosening the bars nuts enough when adjusting the chain or not tightening the bars nuts once adjusted .If it's an older model with small nuts,best to replace them with the large ones .More surface area to gain purchase on the bar .Cheap,10 for about 9 bucks at Baileys .

how is the plastic? 40 feet breaking through the plastic and ripping off the
plug cap wow. lucky it didn't hit him.

Here's what I broke on my 088. I bought a crank from a good source in Australia, back at the beginning of May. Just got to Canada last week, it's close now. Hope the gasket and oil seal kit come soon.

20200810_132223.jpg

Oh wow, that's major!
Btw...what was your source in Australia? I use CPA (chainsaw parts Australia) from time to time but the plastics can be a bit wonky...they come from, guess where...China.

Oh wow, that's major!
Btw...what was your source in Australia? I use CPA (chainsaw parts Australia) from time to time but the plastics can be a bit wonky...they come from, guess where...China.

I belong to a 088/880 group on facebook, a guy down under sells a lot of parts there, and he kindly shipped a crank for me, a very reasonable price.

Back