Toba Inlet or: Am I being paid by the vertical foot? (lots of pics)

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 5K
G

Gord

Spent the last ten or so days in a camp at the somewhat remote Toba Inlet where a run-of-river hydro-electric project is being built. We were hired to remove trees in riparian areas and to piece apart 125 trees down to 6-8 meter spars for use in salmon spawning channels that are going to be built. It's an amazing area, one of the most rugged places I've been and a lot of it is untouched. The most recent logging in the area was in 1987, but mostly it took place in the valley bottom so a lot of old-growth forest remains.

A bunch of photos, mostly of the scenery.

The main camp.
toba1.jpg

View from my room in the float camp.
toba2.jpg

Some Amex explosive that they were flying to blast a few hazard snags. They had pallet after pallet of the stuff.
0002.jpg

One of the powerhouses under construction
0003.jpg

They were flying these up to some of the pole sites with Helifor's Vertol
0001.jpg

Old growth.
0004.jpg

Some areas must have burnt at one time because there's some lonely old trees in unaccessible spots.
0005.jpg

Waterfalls everywhere.
0007.jpg

A few of the about ten deer we saw everyday.
0008.jpg

We got some sun for the last few days we were there.
0009.jpg

Morning.
0010.jpg

Some big trees growing in places I wouldn't think there's any soil to speak of.
0011.jpg

Waterfall we worked beside for a few days.
0012.jpg

Some of the finished spars. Most were Sitka Spruce and Amabilis Fir between 100-180' tall.
0013.jpg

Steep country.
0014.jpg

Young grizzly.
0015.jpg

Flying home in a float plane.
0016.jpg

Brem River
0017.jpg

Video with some blasting for fun.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5oyk6m2P-H4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5oyk6m2P-H4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've got a bunch more pics from the last time I was there if anyone's interested.

Funny thing is the greenies are making us rip out our hydro-electric cause they are in the way of the salmon.... Our most effecient and clean source of power!

Another day at the office Gord? Great shots and video, thanks for sharing with us.

wicked Gord, nice shots of the BC natural coast stuff. I havent been up to Toba yet but someday I would like to get up that way. Great pics eh.

I emailed a link of this thread to www.Larslarson.com since you guys are building hydro-electric and we are tearing it down. He is going to talk about Toba inlet project on his show today8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting willie. These projects have had some bad press, but I have to say when you look at the alternatives for power sources these run-of-river places come out looking pretty good. A portion of the water is taken out of a river, diverted into a steep pipe into a turbine and then returned to the original river. All of the diversion occurs above fish habitat. As in, the waterfall that i'm standing in front of in the one picture is where that water is returned to the river. Aside from the timber felled for the ROW and the earth moved for the building and penstock (pipe) sites the impact on the watershed isn't overly burdensome in any way.

I know that might sound like recited propaganda but it's not. It is a good alternative to almost any other method.

Wow

Wow, Gord that video was just like a dream I had once, thanks for sharing, way cool all around!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey MB the first top in the video I did drop the wedge, I think that's maybe about the third time I have.

What's AMFO sothere?

Thanks for the picts and video...the helmet cam of cutting out the tops was very good. I enjoyed watching your technique.

It looked like there was some fiber at the back of the cut still holding when 2 of the tops went over (see top at 1:57). How and why did you do that? Or was I seeing something wrong?

It was like that in a couple shots, Panther. If I had to guess the fiber's tensile strength wasn't enough to hold the top from going over, same as when a hinge tears.

We take pine's strength for granted here in the southeast.

Back