Honey Bees

No_Bivy

Treehouser
here is me doin a hive inspection of the bees I cut out of a cabin 5 weeks ago...

getting a bit smoother so I have been going gloveless. Pretty mellow bees too.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkiKHKla4Dw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkiKHKla4Dw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Butch, there is a shorter box thats placed on top of the hive called a super. It's where the honey is stored. The super is removed when full or before the hive is winterized.

That's cool John! So, I'm guessing you clamp parts of the old hive into those slides, and the bees rebuild the comb to fill it?

Have you put in any electric fence yet to keep the bears out? The hives that used to be on daisy hill had a pretty stout electric fence to try to keep the bears away.

I've always wanted to bite into a fresh honey comb. That's pretty neat john.

We used to do it in the woods when we came across a honey bee tree. Big bite, chew it up and spit out a ball of wax:D
I'm curios also as to what your looking for John

Cool! I'm looking forward to my beekeeping course this summer.

Is that your only hive, John?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have two hive...one currently still in the log. I will have a third hive at the end of the month.(russian bees) My are other hive are wild feral bees.

I was checking top see if the queen is still laying eggs and wether there are a swarm cells present. These mean the hive is producing a new queen which will result in a swarm. I also have a couple of swarm traps up in case I miss it.

I have a 15,000 volt fence up for the bears.

Farmers markets usually have someone who sells honey and honeycomb. If you find a local dealer you will be suprised at the variety of different kinds of honey available- basswood, buckwheat, fall flower.

"cut comb" honey is harder on the bee/beekeeper. It sets them back so they have to build new comb every time. Otherwise the comb is reused year after year....some say cut comb is good for arthritis

Do you spin it out John and then put the comb back?

spun out in an "extractor"....then the empty(supers) are stored for the next honey flow. 60lbs of honey will be left on the hive for winter...the rest is "robbed" from the bees..

cutting combs means they have to rebuild it. Mo' work for them.

Can I put in my order now for a pint of honey from your hive? Let me know what you think it's worth when it's ready and I'll mail you a check. :)

very cool Andrew...crazy looking hive

Back