Sudden Oak Death

• Thread starter discgolfborist
  • Start date
  • Replies 47
  • Views 5K
D

discgolfborist

Its bad here in Santa Cruz County. :X Removed three California Live Oaks this week cause of this problem....:cry: how is this problem where y'all are?.

Last edited:
It hasn't come in here yet. The expert guys think it's too dry of a climate here for SOD to propagate.

Not here either, about 2 hours west they have been trying to eradicate it for years. Some very interesting detection methods over there

its huge here
mainly tan oaks affected by it
hosts in bay laurel as well
big part of our business, is removals
we are the only company that actually obides by the quarantine and sterilizes our equip (according to the ag dept)
tough problem ..not easy to contain in our crazy environment
who can control, hikers, bikers, ohv riders , horse back riders and dope growers
besides the tree guys and firewood collectors
we carry bleach and a couple 5 gal buckets to sterilize in and a steam cleaner in a pickup to wash off the equip and tires on the way out

real discouraging when you do all this and some idiot is out riding his quad around making sure you dont touch their plants, spreading this disease further or the low bidder doesnt do anything
the county didnt put any enforcement into their controll efforts nor did they find a suitable green waste site to dump at so unless it stays on site it or illegally on a shoulder it winds up going thru the quarantine area to the green waste in scotia,

be carefull these trees fail mid stem and at the root flare, they degrade real fast
2 fatalities so far in sod trees, i believe in sonoma county
hope it doesnt spread further

I'm not exactly sure I'd be able to identify SOD if I saw it. For years we've had oak trees that will die practically overnight. With a couple weeks they are so dried out and brittle that limbs start falling. They get covered with a grey/brown powdery fungus that many refer to as hypoxolin. These types of tree deaths seem to happen mostly in the late spring, after the dry season and just after our first few heavy rains. They dry out fast and within 3-4 weeks can be too brittle to climb safely.

Bay laurel affected too...sorry to hear that. The wood is a gift to mankind. Is the wood usable in a tree killed by the disease?

Bay laurel affected too...sorry to hear that. The wood is a gift to mankind. Is the wood usable in a tree killed by the disease?

laurel, gift, whats it good for?
sod trees are junk, wood degrades so fast

SKWERL..sod trees die suddenly about now, brown out within a week or so.
black oozing gall looking scab on the sides of the trunk, usually a few feet of the ground.bark falls off quick, if its sod and stood more than a year they arent any fun to climb.

Jay, I don't think it kills the bay laurel, the laurel is just a host/carrier. They use sprigs of it here (called myrtle in oregon) and hang it in the streams to detect P. ramorum. They have used this very effectivly but it does take alot of man hours hiking in to all the streams to remove and replace samples

When I was in California, we removed tons of SOD trees. The tan oaks went first and then it hit the coast live oaks. The signs were cracking bark down low, black hypoxylon nodules, and dark brown to black oozing sap. We removed bay trees from around healthy oaks and did root crown excavations at the bases of the trees.

I heard somewhere that a few redwoods had succumbed to phytopthera ramorum. Has anybody else heard that?

edit: I found this:

http://www.sempervirens.org/comtf-release.htm

Here are some pictures I found on the web showing the symptoms of Sudden Oak Death.

Attachments

• 679.jpg
    679.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 66
  • coast_liveoak_joseph_obrien_1427061.jpg
    coast_liveoak_joseph_obrien_1427061.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 70
  • hypoxylon259x385s.jpg
    hypoxylon259x385s.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 71
  • pramorum1b.jpg
    pramorum1b.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Sudden_Oak_Death_1.jpg
    Sudden_Oak_Death_1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 68
The pictures of hypoxilon and bleeding are really secondary signs, not necessarily SOD.

Tan oaks are really the ones getting wiped out. A few live oaks yes, but not nearly what the 'experts' are making it out to be.

Hows this? Remember 'Typhoid Mary'? And how she was a carrier?

Davy tree fits this definition perfectly. Absolutely nothing, nada, ziltch in any attempt whatsoever to minimize their effect.
In fact, the last SOD seminar I attended, loads of Davy trucks pulled up. The site was the middle of a ground zero for SOD. Dirt driveway. These davy trucks all were line clearance in the same area.

The aerial photos showed lines of dead trees at, or near, the wires. Hundreds of miles.
When I pointed this out, I was shut down, told it was a 'coincidence'.

I don't have alot of faith in those guys. Really they are just grant hunters.

Its like telling me to buy a low flow shower head while they install another 2000 home housing development with golf course and lawns at every house.

Oh yeah, Marin County was a ground zero.

Tons of oak removals when I worked there, the death has definetly tapered I'd say.

The acorns are said to be inoculated.

The pictures of hypoxilon and bleeding are really secondary signs, not necessarily SOD.

Tan oaks are really the ones getting wiped out. A few live oaks yes, but not nearly what the 'experts' are making it out to be.

Hows this? Remember 'Typhoid Mary'? And how she was a carrier?

Davy tree fits this definition perfectly. Absolutely nothing, nada, ziltch in any attempt whatsoever to minimize their effect.
In fact, the last SOD seminar I attended, loads of Davy trucks pulled up. The site was the middle of a ground zero for SOD. Dirt driveway. These davy trucks all were line clearance in the same area.

The aerial photos showed lines of dead trees at, or near, the wires. Hundreds of miles.
When I pointed this out, I was shut down, told it was a 'coincidence'.

I don't have alot of faith in those guys. Really they are just grant hunters.

Its like telling me to buy a low flow shower head while they install another 2000 home housing development with golf course and lawns at every house.

well said,
i dont believe davey does anything to prevent the spread of s.o.d
its a shame too....good point frans

Laurel is an excellent material for woodworking, about the same hardness consistency as Walnut. The color varies from greenish to white, but when it ages, it turns a beautiful golden color. The grain is very attractive, especially in older trees. A wooden boat builder friend in Sausalito uses it as well. It's also used for gunstocks. I've used a lot it it with excellent results, and it smells very good too. One problem though, the insects love it, borers can be a problem when you are drying it. The reason that it hasn't found a lot of favor amongst woodworkers, is that they just don't know about it.

HA! Damm bay trees are all over the place. I cut them down, I prune them, and make tall dollars from them.

The pungent smell is noxious to me now. Especially when chipping. You can see the fumes rising from the chips. Or maybe thats heat, but either way, they are an invasive species which choke out hardwoods.

Not to be mistaken from Carolina Bays or the bay leaves which are sold as spices. ie: Twinings, spice island, MCcormick, etc.

Laurel is an excellent material for woodworking, about the same hardness consistency as Walnut. The color varies from greenish to white, but when it ages, it turns a beautiful golden color. The grain is very attractive, especially in older trees. A wooden boat builder friend in Sausalito uses it as well. It's also used for gunstocks. I've used a lot it it with excellent results, and it smells very good too. One problem though, the insects love it, borers can be a problem when you are drying it. The reason that it hasn't found a lot of favor amongst woodworkers, is that they just don't know about it.

Thanks for the info jay
unfortunately i usuall just kill them and dump the logs at green waste as it dont split for fire wood
i just removed some 3 ft dia ones
and have a base cut to make from a multi stem thats big a round as a kitchen table
full of metal though
maybe i''l save some sawlogs

Is this on the same order as what we have in Minnesota they call it Oak wilt. It plugs up the trees ability to move water up the tree. It can kill a mature oak in a month. It also can be spread through the root system of the tree's were they over lap.

HA! they are an invasive species which choke out hardwoods.

It is a hardwood, what do you mean, Frans?

Bay Laurel is Umbellularia californica. It is sometimes referred to as Myrtle, and Pepperwood, but not to be confused with another species that also goes by Pepperwood. The Indians used the leaves for medicinal purposes. It makes great chair seats. I can post a pic or two when the scanner I just purchased arrives. I think you will like the grain figure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ANY OF YOU SPRAY FOR THIS? mY BOSS USES AGROFOS TO TREAT THE SPREAD AND UPTAKE ON INFECTED AND THREATENED TREES.

Phytopthera was a big problem when I raised tomatoes. If you let them get a little dry and then a little too wet, bam it would nail you. Made worse by nematode infestations or anything else that would make an entry into the roots also.

Back