a light trim

C. Kirk

TreeHouser
I saw list on flicker. Titled "a light trim". As you can see the tree was top once before.
And the home oner like the look & cut off all the new growth. Why do people like this look. It just make me want to slap them.

Attachments

• 268014295_1faa0642d1_b.jpg
    268014295_1faa0642d1_b.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 9
I don't get it and I never will.

Almost all the landscraper companies here will do that or very similar if asked to 'trim the tree'. I have lost count of people who come crying to me after the fact. They know what they want and assume that the grass cutters will know what to do with a big tree.
I leave the grass and hedges to them, they should leave the trees to me!

Hard to believe that still goes on when all you have to do is google "how to prune a tree."

OK just to play devils ad. When I used to live in France and Belgium it was standard practice to "pollard" all street trees. The trees lived for years and never became a hazard and some old guy with an orchard ladder and a hand saw would do the work. From a municiple standpoint it made a lot of sense, that was 20 years ago so maybe the ISA has imprisoned all the old dudes and now they have big dangerous street trees...........;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It still big in WI. I have walk away for a couple of job because that is what they wanted. Even after tilling it is bad and dose not look good. There reply is there friend had it done and they liked.

Last edited:
We just hashed this through in "tree care and health" last month.
No need to do it again, unless you guys have too much time on your hands.

OK just to play devils ad. When I used to live in France and Belgium it was standard practice to "pollard" all street trees. The trees lived for years and never became a hazard and some old guy with an orchard ladder and a hand saw would do the work. From a municiple standpoint it made a lot of sense, that was 20 years ago so maybe the ISA has imprisoned all the old dudes and now they have big dangerous street trees...........;)

We went to France a few years back and I really liked the pollarded trees. I've seen them down in Mexico around the churches too.

Don't presume to tell us what to do, buddy. Stay out of this thread if it bores you.

Are you a bit grumpy today, Boss.
I was merely passing along the information, that this subject has been covered in dept already.
Or at least I thought that was what I was doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only start this thread because it struck me as funny that this home owner was re-toping his tree. Not some big debate on right or wrong. But did you see he is use electric chain saw?

Yes but a pollard is definite, time tested method of controlling tree size in a specific locality. Also if a tree is due to become a pollard it is treated as such from the beginning and its maintenance and pruning has a plan. What we are takling about is mature trees hacked down to the nubs waaay past the time and size if it were ever supposed to be a pollard. 'Topping' and hacking is NOT pollarding!

When people see a mature pollarded tree, it may look like it was cut back to 'nubs' because the trunk and scaffolds are thick, heavy and mature. Thats because those bits are never cut, and have never been since the tree was planted, well, except for the first cut when it was of the proper size to do so. So all the ensuing time, the scaffold branches and trunk have been increasing in girth, the 'cats heads' (pollard points) swell, and everything else above is annual ( or whatever pruning cycle they choose) growth that is periodicly removed.

Check the picture - that is NOT pollarding, its a tree massacre!

Attachments

• newly topped large casuarina,.JPG
    newly topped large casuarina,.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 15
Back