What bar on the 200t??

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 8K
S

sytherstrike

Well I've gotten pretty used to using a 14 inch bar on the 200t. Today the guy I worked for had a 200 with a 12 inch bar. I thought I'd give it a try. It was a 90 foot poplar tree with 7 leads ranging between 8 inches to 12. So I thought 12 inch bar should be good right. Well I didn't damage anything but I did cut two notches wrong. I had a small flat spot where I'd sunk the bar too far. I'm probably going to just stick with a 14 inch because I've never done that, it could of also been because I was tired it was raining and hailing at the same time, or all three. I was only off 2 foot on the one branch and the other dropped right where I wanted, but didn't jump like I wanted, it kinda just hinged over and stuck in the ground straight up and down. I guess I just like it when everything goes right. So what size bar do you guys like to run and what issues or benefits have you found from using them? I was thinking of going up to a 16 inch bar so experiences with one of those in a tree would be very helpful.

I've always run a 14" on the 200T. Most guys around here run 16s but I don't like how it makes the saw nose heavy. And that extra 2" can triple the number of times the tip of the bar hits your ankle and snags while you're climbing around.

I've got a 12" on mine at the moment with a skinny chain but that's just because it's going to be in a speed contest in about a week and a half .Afterwards I have a 16" to hang on it . Most trimmers around here run a 14" .

I've always run a 14" on the 200T. Most guys around here run 16s but I don't like how it makes the saw nose heavy. And that extra 2" can triple the number of times the tip of the bar hits your ankle and snags while you're climbing around.

ditto

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've got a 12" on mine at the moment with a skinny chain but that's just because it's going to be in a speed contest in about a week and a half .Afterwards I have a 16" to hang on it . Most trimmers around here run a 14" .

The 200 I ran today did cut pretty fast with that 12 inch. On a smaller job I think it would be ideal, I think for the size of tree I was in 14 would have been just right.

No Skwerl- But I figured the bar length wasn't really relevant to saw brand.

I have one climbing saw with a 14" and the other three have 16s. 12 inch bars on saws just feel and look stupid to me.

Always run the 14 inch lightweight bar. Swap up at the saw shop when buying new. Been running the same bar on the 200 for nearly 4 years. It has held up pretty good I would say.

But with a 200, I've always been curious about the increased torque. I've only operated 16 inchers.
When I get a chance I'll hang my 12" on a stock 200T to see if there is a diff in power . Due to the fact my little saw has been reworked it wouldn't prove much to use it for a comparrison .

I've always had 14" since my first 020T. Tried a 12" on a 200 I bought on ebay, not for me.

Never tried or heard about using a 16" until I saw MB mention it once, might be pushing it a bit with some of our hardwoods. Might be good for palms though. ;)

Back