Stihl's locking caps

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 71
  • Views 7K
F

Frans

:X yet another one just broke. This one on the backpack blower. Stupid things. :X

I have no trouble with the gas or oil on any of the bigger saws, but the oil on the 200 and 200T are just wack.

I think they're just OK, I do hate it when guys don't get the oil cap on right and then send the saw up to with oil dripping everywhere.

i also dont like the gas tank asembly on the 200t's
seems like every year i get a small hairline crack where it seams into the casing, costs almost 1/2 a new saw to fix...and no i dont throw my saw, its ahppened on all of em i ve bought, and 1/2 of em had defective carbs....sad for stihl

oh yeah, ive not had 2 many probs with the gas caps...yet

I didn't see a problem with the old screw in stihl caps. Did anyone see anything wrong with that design?
I think it was a stihl marking ploy to sale loads of new caps at $8-$10 a pop. Who knows.
I know the ones on the 361 and 200 get treated like they are very fragile pos.

I HATE, and I mean LOATHE, DESPISE and hold them in UTTER DISCONTENT!!
Stupid peices of crap!!!
I broke two on my 390 and two on the 192t. None on the 200t YET, but give it time!!
I cannot count the times I have had bar oil run down my legs!!! Never fuel, it's ALWAYS bar oil!!:X
I've heard a company was going to manufacture bayonet addaptors so you could use the lod style caps, but I have yet to find them:X

Oil cap on my 200T has always been retarded now the gas cap is starting to misbehave too.

What I don't get about the 200 oil caps is there is no little register tab/arrow like on the gas and on both oil and gas on my 361 and 460.

If I pay attention to those, I have no trouble...but the 200 oil cap lacks them, sooooo...problem.

I must be an oddball because I have a dickens of a time with the GAS cap, but no problem with the OIL cap! :what:

I thought I posted this here before and you may already know this but if it helps anybody it bears repeating.
It is unfortunately fairly easy to get these caps out of index, and the 200T is probably the worst on the oil tank. If the cap is not seated all the way in and you turn it the cap gets opened up like this cap:

IMG_2293.jpg

If you can see the gap showing it is out of index. Just hold the top and turn the other half so it looks like this:

IMG_2292.jpg

Now it is ready to try again. It is worse on oil tanks since they may be full to the top and when you push the cap in it gets pushed back out by the oil and is only partially in the tank, and then you twist and get it out of index. There are some reference marks but they are hard to see to line up.
If you keep trying to twist the cap and it is out of index you will force it past the three little built in tabs and now it is ruined and will need replaced.
I was working on an old 009 I got for the collection the other day, and when I put bar oil in it and sat it up on the bench, a little later I had bar oil all over the place. The screw in cap had a hole in it from being tightened with a scrench repeatedly. So it needed replaced as well.
I am OK with flippy caps since I have trained my self to be sure they are not out of index and are seated correctly before I turn them.
I suspect it is all about marketing and having something unique to talk about and spin for advertising, and all the models are using this cap to keep manufacturing costs down, so it is just one of those little peculiarities of the brand that we either love or hate.
Eddie

Well, my anger is directed to all those idiots who constantly jammed screnches into the old cap slots to (over)tighten the caps and kept poking holes through the caps. Those are the idiots whose actions led to the need to develop a new cap system. I was fine with the old caps and never once needed a scrench to tighten or loosen a cap unless some idiot got hold of it and overtightened it the last time. I hated when somebody wanted to stick a scrench in the caps on one of my saws.

That's definitely the fix. I check that index tab every time on the oil. Half the time I have to pop it back in the groove with my fingernail.

But try explaining that to a groundie from 50' up AFTER he's already rotated it out of index.

I don't get angry at the caps.
I'm angered by someone sending up a saw dripping with oil, or better yet
the cap falls off and oil spills all over my pants, saddle and boots.

I don't get angry at the caps.
I'm angered by someone sending up a saw dripping with oil, or better yet
the cap falls off and oil spills all over my pants, saddle and boots.

my motto is three times of that and they will be looking for a new job or they can take all my gear home and wash it at their house

Part of the problem with seating the oil caps is saw chips in the threads. It's got to be clean, and don't over fill.

On the engineer's desk it all works out fine, but in the field it's another thing all together.

a little trick I'm sure you all know.

Tip the saw blade up or down I forget, while it's on it's side while you're filling the oil.......
and a bubble pops up if you pour too much. That gets the cap to seat better.

I've seen people throw some serious hissy fits with those caps and just walk away into the mist never to return again living the ends of their life with an unfuflilled sense of frustration looming over head like a black coud. Serious, I was in Canada on vacation when I saw it.

Back