Big tree day

• Thread starter sothere
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 3K
S

sothere

It's a tree day for me today:D coincedently a Cottonwood.
She's out in the middle of nothing and of course the excavator(Albeit small ,60,000 LBS) will be along to help,I'm gonna be extremely under sawed with a 575 Husq.
The camera is charging and I hope to get an operators POV while I'm doing it.I've been told she's over 6 feet across,I usually dread the monotony of big trees as they are very work intensive and boring,taping will help break that up I hope.
I'll try and get enough pics and video to compare cost as well for others from different parts of the country.
Cool Dayz;ST

Is it a straight fall? I always enjoy piecing a big tree apart w/o rigging anything, makes for fun fast work. Looking forward to the video.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well the trees are down have a few pics and some video.
My PC skills are limited and have never made a video before but for a trial run it worked well.Found good location for camera and can work unhindered.
Will have to take it to a geek friend of mine to edit and get a little continuity.Nobody died or even got hurt,like I said in the first post this is pretty boring,video helped.
the biggest tree was 7.5 feet across,root ball was as big as the excavator and she is now resting comfortably 15' down with the rest of the root balls and trash.

Here are some pic's,seems the word for the day imo was barber chair,(See last pic,somebody tell me how to alleviate that,the tree was down and we were cutting lengths)
had some fun leaners that were part of the big 1,she went up to about 8 feet and split into 3 big trunks,had to stand on the counter weight to get high enough to wedge them, better for me as I dislike ladders
Also I can stick a saw like nobodys business gotta get Gerry's book as I truely wish to learn.
By the way this is the biggest baddest 200 trim saw you guys have ever seen,LOL it's a Deere
Markspicturesloaded1-20-09063.jpg

Markspicturesloaded1-20-09065.jpg

Markspicturesloaded1-20-09068.jpg

Markspicturesloaded1-20-09070.jpg

That wasn't a barber chair in the true sense of the meaning ,just a tree under tension .A true barber chair is one that tries to remove your head as you are tipping the tree .:O

Several methods to prevent same .I use a chain and binders on each side of the cut 'cause I'm a chicken chit about this stuff . You can partly undercut it first also but be carefull because you can stick a saw in a Mississippi second if it closes in on you . You can also block under the high side you help prevent split outs sometimes .

Nice yellow "trim " saw .Kinda hard to climb with though .;)

Not a derail but just an example of how you have to kind of learn how to "read " a tree to determine what action it could take under stress . This I assure does not come over night but is intuative .The main thing is just not to put yourself in harms way . If you smash a saw that can be replaced .A crushed leg cannot so be carefull .

Attachments

• cherry tree 004.jpg
    cherry tree 004.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 123
  • cherry tree 007.jpg
    cherry tree 007.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 121
  • cherry tree 008.jpg
    cherry tree 008.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 121
  • cherry tree 010.jpg
    cherry tree 010.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 120
I grew up in farm country I can answer your question Butch. The tree is sucking water that could be growing corn. And farmers hate having to get off the tractor to pick up fallen branches.;)

They affect every thing around them. My father in law hate the pine trees as he can't grow anything near them but lawn and that takes gobs more water to stay green

Only 3 trees in Iowa:lol:I took them down cuz the root structure was plugging drainage tile and what fallguy said,working on video;M

Back