Ehap vs line clearance

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
My ehap ran out a year or more ago, so i went to recertify,
oh how there is nowa whole bunch more books to buy, and someone came up witha way to sell more books and tests.
TCIA , says( i spoke to Katherine) who, now sells ehap and ariel rescue seperate, no more duplicate answer sheets for a company must buy a book for each crew member. also thats now 2 books instead of the 1 and says that its the same as line clearance certification....i believe they are wrong, ehap is 10 ft away from conductors while line clearance is down to 0 to 2 ft away depending on voltages
I am targeting my local utility and was going to go to acrt in ohio for a week to get my line clearance card, i just thought id renew my ehap for myself and the crew for this spring, but jees for the cost we might as well all be line clearance certified.
i see the income generating wing of tcia is thinking again,
i like that the books are set up for the layman to progress thru, but what about the pros who just need to recertify and not blow a whole lot a dough on bs.

Anyone got a straight answer on ehap vs line clearance... i know in ca is different than some states,

Help me out will ya

You are encountering the inherent problem in all facets of business regulation. While safety and public protection is the rational justification it ALWAYS devolves to generating money for people who don't DO the work taken from those who can do the work.

I agree, Justin.

Just more money generation at the expense of the rank and file.

Sorry to hear that, Dave. It doesn't make it easy to stay up to date with all the costly regs in this down economy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah i am getting tired of the suits making $ off us for all our training needs , but not doing much else to help the little fella ,
i feel that the money grab is becoming more apparent
so has anyone been to acrt for their line clearance class?

This kind of stuff happens in many different businesses. The financial success of the entity becomes more important than the original goal. It's not that they are evil, it's just the way things are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How often do you have to recert, Dave?

i believe its every year or every 2 yrs,
but since it expired you have to do it alll over, even if you were previously certified, even if you did an ariel rescue class 3 months ago, you have to do their books (now 2 with )their test, and do over again,
but why if no one in the industry will allow you near the lines unless you have a line clearance card, should anyone have ehap,
it's a great idea, but isnt going to bring the business any more $ or work load

my friend took j mercado's class in L A
he thought it was a joke, i saw the manual they got , it was lame
and he left with more questions than answers, but he got his silly little card
why should we line other peoples pockets only to still be under qualified,

i believe the only thing worthy learned was consider all wires energized with enough voltage to kill you

anyways anyone been to acrt
or does qanyone want to go in on a private class out here in cali, we can all chip in and have the trainer come out to the west coast, and train a dozen people?

The FS has hired ACRT to provide several rigging/heavy wood removal workshops over the last few years. I've attended or facilitated/coached all of them. I think the instructor we've had, Peter Dubish, is quite good. I know he does ehap/line clearance training as well as various climber courses. I wouldn't hesitate to attend one taught by him.

Back