saw strap does and don'ts

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 5K
S

sytherstrike

I have a cheapo home depot hook attached to my 200t, that I use to hook to my saddle. I do this because the guy who taught me to climb told me theres always a chance a branch could snag the saw and if it were attached to my saddle with a long saw strap it could pull me outta the tree. On saturday I was climbing a cotton wood, and it happened. The tip of the bar got pinched and it took the saw down with it and I ended up smashing my hand on the tree trying to hold onto the saw. I've been wondering if I'd had a long saw strap if the branch would of went so far and let go of the saw. The saw is ok, the groundies tied it back on and I finshed up the tree. It just kinda got me wondering, if I'd had a long saw strap if everything woulda been ok, or would it have pulled me off the tree, I had both my climb line and lanyard in place, so it wouldn't have pulled me far if it would have at all. What do you think????

Using a longer lanyard under the premise that it will increase the likelyhood of the limb releasing your limb isn't sound.

I use a break away lanyard, when I use one. I've had a limb grab the saw once that I remember, and I damn sure didn't let go of it. It popped out and I kept working.

It all depends on how tightly it was pinched. What you need to do now is figure out WHY the saw got stuck and don't let it happen again. I lost a saw or two back when I first started climbing, but now I know what kind of cuts ad what situations lead to pinched bars and I can avoid them (usually... and on the rare occassion that a bar gets pinched, I know which way to pull it to get it loose quickly). Look at this as a learning experience, and a cheap one too. You could have mangled your saw.

I had it happen in the bucket. Jerked the saw right out of my hands. Luckily it landed on a pile of pine brush and didn't break anything.

I use lanyards that will hold the saw but break before pulling ME out of the tree. Brett is coorrect-best defense is learning what makes a saw snathcer and then not creating the nasty things.....but it does happen. I never lost a saw beyore I started lanyarding them but the lanyards make things easy if you wish to drop the saw below your feet and qwickly push off a chunk or pop a snap cut.

Saws are cheaper than hands. I've never used a saw lanyard. If it's a choice between personal injury or saving the saw, let the saw go. I've dropped a few saws in my time and not one of them ever injured me.

Skwerl (posting from Erik's computer)

Out of concern for my groundsmen, I use a lanyard, but out of concern for myself, I always has a breakaway link in it.

I use an approx. 4-5 foot lanyard..also have a snap on my belt to hang it from close. When I am cutting I disconnect the lanyard biner from my saddle, wrap lanyard around spar or convenient limb and snap biner back to lanyard...choke it off. That way if the saw pinches and I lose saw somehow, the tree catches the saw. I don't want the force of the pinched saw snatching me in the tree.

Yeah, I know, it takes a few more moments to do the lanyarding to the tree but it's a matter of personal style. Also, if I am working in one area for several cuts that is less weight that I am dealing with on my saddle.

If a big piece tries to take the saw with it something went wrong...I don't want the additional worry of dealing with the disappearing saw snatching me with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll stick with what I have for now. Just using the swivel clip. I've never dropped a saw before, so I guess it just made me think is there a better way or not. I hope it never happens again. I guess once in 2 years isn't bad. :/::/: I just hope it doesn't happen again any time soon.

The groundsmen shouldnt be in the drop zone for the saw to hit them if it does come out of the tree. I watched 2 saws go flying when i first started climbing. I was often naive about the importance of my cuts and several times came in the backcut well below my face cut. That habit got expensive and served its purpose as a teaching tool.

HTF does using a lanyard slow one down??

Gets tangled, gets twisted, comes up short for a long reach, makes things more crowded on the saddle.

The idea of a lanyard is good, and I may try again to get used to one, but it did drive me crazy too.

I run without 95% ... If I'm out over a slate roof or skylights maybe a leash .... the option of leash to the tree/spar is there as well ....

I like lanyards...the ability to "throw" the saw to the side and brace for a swing is nice, also not worrying about $600 slipping out of your hands. If I'm worried about something catching the saw, I'll use my hand saw to nip throw the last bit of wood. In fact, I tend to use the handsaw with topping cuts anyways.

lanyard don't #1: don't tie it on with just 2 half hitches

I would be much slower without a lanyard, I toss my saw up, grab the lanyard and clip it 90% of the time.

You might not have guessed where the weak point on a 200t is without seeing this (not mine) :

Attachments

• ms200t.jpg
    ms200t.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
Gord, what lanyard do you use? Breakaway?

Sick avatar, BTW!

Back