Man, I'm PO'ed At The Cable Company!

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
OK, call me dumb but I thought when the change to digital went into effect there would be some HD channels coming through. Guess what? I was wrong! The digital changeover has nothing to do with the HD channels. You still have to get the fricking converter box and I hate a galldanged converter box!!! You gotta make space for it and use their remote control! Frig that!

Soooooo, I decide to sign up for the digital ($17 more a month!:X) package and I drive to the cable company to pick up the "box." And again, guess what??? The "box" has the same dimensions as a common stereo receiver, maybe even bigger!!! And I have no place at all to put the damed thing - my TV is wall mounted. So I though about it and told them to keep that shit and leave my account as it is.

One would think that with today's technology they could come up with a way to eliminate that "box."

I'm glad I don't have cable. It's one of the more predatory businesses out there. Bandwidth isn't costing them shit and they're charging premium prices for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meh, we're paying for all the infrastructure n shit, not just the bandwith.

Yea, you just need to buy a TV that has that slot. I wish I'd have known that when I bought THIS new LCD tv 6 months ago!!!

Anyone wanna buy a TV?

Crap, I just found out that the CableCard costs an extra two bucks a month! They charge you for the privilege of getting rid of the box!

Crap, I just found out that the CableCard costs an extra two bucks a month! They charge you for the privilege of getting rid of the box!

Like I said, "It's one of the more predatory businesses out there." $2 dollars a month for a card that might cost them $15. Probably can't buy your own either, eh?

The thing about cable companies and bandwidth is, they already had 90% of the point of presence infrastructure back in 1990, all they had to do was setup some data centers... which were cheap compared to laying fiber. Bandwidth to the household via CATV cable in this country should cost almost nothing. Time-warner charges $50 per month for basic, un-guaranteed internet bandwidth. The FCC screwed us big.

I haven't owned a TV in six years. But you should try and sell your story to the satellite providers in exchange for a free set up. :D

How's no TV treating ya? I want to throw mine out the window.

No, Butch. We aren't watching any programs...and happy as clams at high tide.

I have sooooo many better things to do than sit in front of the tv, watch crap, and get spoonfed mass marketing.

Not that I mind a whit should you like to do so...just isn't my cup of tea.

When I travel for work, stuck in a motel, I look at it...confirms my desire to avoid in my regular at home life..

No, Butch. We aren't watching any programs...and happy as clams at high tide.

I have sooooo many better things to do than sit in front of the tv, watch crap, and get spoonfed mass marketing.

Not that I mind a whit should you like to do so...just isn't my cup of tea.

When I travel for work, stuck in a motel, I look at it...confirms my desire to avoid in my regular at home life..

:thumbup::thumbup:

I haven't had a TV since I left home. That would be 1997. I LOVE not having one. In high school, i recognized how much of a time waster it was. And commercials just PISS me off!

Try keeping it off for a week or two. You might like it. Plus...no TV and you don't need the box!

I watch what I want to when I want to in streaming video piped to my TV from the computer. And the kids are far better off watching good movies and such instead of TV any day. You know how good it feels to see how they play like I used to when I was a kid. They can make play out of the simplest most ordinary objects with their imaginations. Also, when we go to the store or at Christmas time we don't get the I want I want I want bull chit.

One might say the internet could be a waste of time as well. Web surfing is somewhat akin to flipping channels.

TV can be educational as a mofo. The Discovery Channel and the History Channel - how can anyone say they're not good for your mind??? What, I should read the book instead?

Not having a TV because it's "a waste of time" is like having an outhouse cuz an indoor bathroom "might smell."

the reason I'm on dial-up is my local cable provider will not run service all the way up the mountain , he goes halfway up and thats it ....

He does better bringing in service for new condominiums with dozens of customers in one spot than extending rural service in areas with few homes or year round residents .... It's not fair ! I would LOVE high speed internet (media challenged) ....

TV isn't a habit for me, but sometimes when I'm really tired from working, don't want to think about nuttin, I like to turn on the tube and just zone out for a couple hours. Hopefully it's something that I enjoy watching, but probably if someone were to ask me the next day what I watched, I might not be able to remember. I find it therapeutic in those instances.

I used to watch quite a bit of history channel type stuff .... I could watch the construction of the Empire State Building again and again ....

Back