Fishing Line

No_Bivy

Treehouser
I just got a new ultralight Loomis pole and reel. My other rod/reel has been plaqued with tangles. Which line is better then braided stuff, flourocarbon or mono. I guess 4lb range line.

I wonder alson if Im overfilling the spool causing tangles...any thought?

trout season open next weekend8)

Been using the braided line forever, got used to using it when it first came out and wouldn't know how to use monofilament line. Some reels just don't lend themselves to braided line and will twist it, causing wind knots. But most of the time it's technique.

Just a little extra awareness when casting makes a big difference. When you cast and your lure hits the water, slow the line with your finger before closing the bail. If you just close the bail using the handle without touching the line then you can get slack in the spool, which will eventually turn into a knot.

Always try to keep the slack out of the spool when reeling. If your line is very slack, keep a finger on the line to add a little tension. I've done it so long it's second nature and I don't even think about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im using a spinning reel......sounds like the flouocarbon aint great for that. Might explain some of my tangles:X

Been using the braided line forever, got used to using it when it first came out and wouldn't know how to use monofilament line. Some reels just don't lend themselves to braided line and will twist it, causing wind knots. But most of the time it's technique.

Just a little extra awareness when casting makes a big difference. When you cast and your lure hits the water, slow the line with your finger before closing the bail. If you just close the bail using the handle without touching the line then you can get slack in the spool, which will eventually turn into a knot.

I could only find 10lb test in braided...but it is the size of 2lb...do they make lighter braids?

cool...Seems pretty small.

another question....how "full" should I load the spool..half?

Fill it up to just below the edge of the lip on the spool. Directions should be on the line packaging as well as the reel manual.

Different strokes. I'll take a different view than Brian. The braids are truly great on a levelwind reel but for spinning Nylon monofilament continues to be the best for light line fishing IMO. I use a lot of fluorocarbon leaders but still find nylon mon best for the right combination of strength diameter and spool memory for spinning tackle.

cool...Seems pretty small.

another question....how "full" should I load the spool..half?

Do you spool it or let the guys at the tackle store do it? They should know. I need to have mine re done. There is some pretty light pink line I am going to get. We have it on 2 or 3 of our poles. I am not sure the name of it.

I prefer PowerPro braided line over anything else. Its very strong and doesnt twist and tangle like most braided lines do. I dont like mono line because it develops memory. Plus it also generally needs to be replaced every year, I have reels that are spooled with PowerPro for over 4 years.

Most people make the mistake of underfilling the spool which will cause more tangle and hang ups. The spool should be full.

http://www.powerpro.com

No tackle shop Gigi....spooled it myself. Im gonna brave the rain with the kids and go drowned some worms.

Stumper....are you using the FC leader on a spinning rig?

I used the braid when it first came out. Spiderwire. TOUGH stuff!! But it would eat the guides on my mid-level rods, and wouldn't cast as far either. I also found out it conducts electricity:O
I have gone back to mono.
The rule of thumb with spinning gear is to spool it up 2/3's of the way. I go over that myself with little problem.

John I have used Flourocarbon leader on spinning tackle and baitcasting......but it has actually been a few years since I fished with anything other than fly tackle.

Andy, that was almost 20 years ago. Today even the cheapest rod guides can handle braided line. I fished for years using braid on cheapo $20-$30 Ugly Stik rods with no problem. I like the sensitivity, can't feel anything using mono in comparison.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QUjlCVo2o5w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QUjlCVo2o5w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kwGSTZ-c4Rc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kwGSTZ-c4Rc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

which one is better?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbQHu8h8ywI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbQHu8h8ywI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

When winding mono or flouro onto a reel from the spool... if it is a spinning reel, the line needs to come off the spool from the side... lay the spool on the flat part of the spool. If the reel is a bait caster... then it goes straight on the reel from the spool... reel to reel.

Gary

Andy, that was almost 20 years ago. Today even the cheapest rod guides can handle braided line. I fished for years using braid on cheapo $20-$30 Ugly Stik rods with no problem. I like the sensitivity, can't feel anything using mono in comparison.

It was probably ten years ago. I didn't say the hadn't made improvments, just adding my experiance.

that explains some of my probs:|:

John... when I posted that I was at work and couldn't view the vid (Youtube is blocked). So it was shithouse luck that I posted right after the vid.

Anyways... the dude in that "Shimano" vid is a tool... He did it completely wrong for a spinning reel... he did it the way you should do it for a casting reel. If he works for Shimano... he should be sacked.

Dude on the bassboat... seems to know a little bit about puttin' line on a reel...

Think about it this way... when you wind the line on the reel for a spinning rod, you are basically "coiling" the line on the reel... cuz that's how it comes off the reel... in coils. :)

So when windin' line on a baitcaster... it goes reel to reel in a straight line, because that is how it comes off the reel... in a straight line.

It can/will lend to a "birdsnest" if done opposite...

:)

Gary

Good points Gary. I think the most important thing in either case is the tension on the line as its being spooled. If the spool is laying on its side you can apply tension by squeezing the line as you real.

.....and because most spinning reel spools are much smaller in diameter than the spool the line is shipped on ,even when you are transfering the coils properly, if you are pinching the line as you reel you will begin to notice it hockling beyond the pinch point-at that point flip the spool for a few cranks till it is it unhockled then flip it back.

the braid so far is awesome.......getting ready for a multi day lake trip, with lots of night fishing.

anyone here fish for musky or walleye?

Back