Hiking the AT

arborworks1

Treehouser
Anyone done it? All the way thru, or sections. I'm starting on sections later in the summer. Maybe a fall and winter trek also.

One of the guys I Javalina hunted with earlier this month did the whole trail south to north. He is planning to hike it north to south in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm hoping I can make it over a few year time span. Can't take off 6 months to do the whole thing.

Dave has an advantage-He is a retired police officer. Still fairly young and fit but no financial/job barriers to surmount.

Butch, It is kind of like asking about the appeal of climbing a Redwood. It doesn't appeal to eveyone but some pepole are enhticed by beautiful views, natural wonders, and physical challenges. The AP is reputed to offer all of that in large measures.

But do you get to sleep with bears trying to steal your food and nubile young female hikers asking to join you in your tent because they are scared?

But I see that stuff every day working outdoors.

nah...ya dont'........bout getting away from the "rat race" as well..8)
I need an Epic:cry:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-r3bbE3x7-g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-r3bbE3x7-g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah Its just getting out and being one with nature. Seeing awesome views, no pavement for the most part. I just like camping and hiking.

Eustace Conway has a good book about hiking the AT. He did it in one piece but I think it took a few months and he did pick up a nubile female hiker companion along the way ;)

The first pic is from around the North Carolina Tennessee boarder near Roan Mt.
Second is In Vogel St Park Georgia
Third is called Mcafee Knob

Hiking had become my gym activity. I still run and walk on the treadmill, but hiking keeps it from being boring.

What I see from the top of a tree amazes me over and over. I don't need to hike to see it, but I hear ya.

Zen quote there boss ;)

I miss that view. I have an indoor job. I miss that view of it all from above looking down at all those earth bound freaks. A big part of why I hang glide is to get away from those earth bound misfits. The view from the top of a tree can be grand - - seeing a neighborhood, valley, or city in a way that few will ever see.

Then back to earth :(

Back