What's Your BMI?

BMI Results

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I see so many fat (like I used to be) tree workers out there and I just wonder how lean we are. Here's the link to calculate. I was 24.8, the high end of normal.

How 'bout YOU?

From the site;BMI is a reliable indicator of total body fat, which is related to the risk of disease and death. The score is valid for both men and women but it does have some limits. The limits are:

It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle mass.

I'm overweight. Guess it's time to hit the treadmill. :what:

According to that, I'm 20 lbs overweight. But it also says I need to be below 160 to be in the 'normal' range. Back 10 years ago when I was 165 and climbed every day everybody thought I was emaciated. I'm not going to use the BMI number as my target goal because it is inaccurate.

Here you go-

Cheval_Mirror.jpg

28.9 - I'd have to lose 33 lbs to be at the high end of normal and 55 to be in the middle of normal. I'd say that I was about 10 lbs overweight.

I'm with Skwerl, I don't think that the BMI is very accurate. I don't think any of the scales are very good as they are too "one-size-fits-all" to be accurate.

I'm with Skwerl, I don't think that the BMI is very accurate.

I don't know about that, I think it is very accurate. You would be surprised at where you can store fat, in your neck, shoulders, face, well all over. I have lost so many inches all over my body, it just amazed me where all the fat was. I am just in the normal range and still need to loose a few more pounds. (and plan on doing it!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree. Brian, can you see your abs or do you have that bicep vein visible? The mirror is a good thing IF you know what to look for.

I've never seen my abs... even when I was doing 100 crunches in two minutes... which was a very long time ago.

BMI=24.1

Long as I'm getting exercise, I'm happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One can have a strong muscular gut plus a layer of blubber over it. I know I did.

I edited my first post.

BMI is a reliable indicator of total body fat, which is related to the risk of disease and death. The score is valid for both men and women but it does have some limits. The limits are:

It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle mass.

28.8. I AM overweight......but not as much as the BMI superficially indicates.One of the qualifiers that the instuctions include is that muscular /athletic builds may not have as much fat as the index indicates. A great many treeguys probably have a disproportionate about of muscle under whatever fat they are carrying. I got down to 210 lbsabout 7 months ago and then have crept backup to 218. At 210 all I had left as discerible fat was a little belly roll that I have had all my life-even when I was an 170 lb 20 year old that people called "Flaco" (skinny) I figured at that point that I could continue losing down to 195-at which point losing more would have been unhealthy.
So, yeah ,I am overweight but at the middle of the "normal" range I would be underweight.

I've put on 5 lbs. in the last 4-6 months, mostly due to being forced into unusual (for me) levels of inactivity by my crippled up hip.

I'm morbidly obese. Sadly, the CG used BMI to determine my health, so every April and October I have to step on the scale to see how healthy I am. I'm 60 lbs overweight. I mean, I'm not ripped, and I could lose some weight, but I'm in the gym five or six days a week, 49" chest, 18.5" arms, 27.5" quads...etc. I think I'm OK.

It's just a sore subject for me because every six months I have to go see the flight surgeon and get counseled on my fatness and if the command chose to, they could take action against me. I have to convince the vegetarian flight surgeon twice a year why I shouldn't be booked for weighing what I do.

Add to that the CG is LOWERING it's standards in October! I'm a sold 254, and I have to be down to 187. :X

Sorry. Rant complete.

I gave Junior a weight bench for his birthday... I've started benching when it rains. Makes going hard right after a four day layoff a lot easier.

25.8.WTF? I'm really a fat guy. 6 feet and 190, that gets me in the overweight catagory? Geez.

27.6... :lol: You can tell by my avatar how "fat" I am...

The chart doesn't even show my height... so I went with 6' 4" instead of 6' 5"...

It shows I would have to weigh 197 to be "normal"... I weigh 233 right now... I also went through the same thing in the Navy that Jeff is going through right now. When weigh-ins came around twice a year... I was "off the chart" and had to be "measured".

The Navy has a "height/weight" chart... and when you don't meet the ridiculous standard... you have to have your BMI calculated. They use the "fat calipers" to do the "measurement".

So when I would jump on the scale and then have them check my height, I would be "off the chart" and get my love handle pinched for the measurement. The person measuring would always say... "It says you're overweight... but you don't look it."

So for 3 years I had to go to mandantory physical training for being "overweight"... :lol: I actually enjoyed it. I felt like I was in a bad "Sweatin' to the Oldies" video. I was/am in shape, and everybody else there was not. It was quite comical... I was actually shocked to see how many fat bodies were in the Navy, and allowed to stay in that condition.

So after 3 years a CPO that took over the program asked me what the hell i was doing there... I told him why... he wrote me a "waiver" from the program and said i was perfectly "fit and trim" for my body structure... finally someone had a clue. That Chief told me something that I never forgot... "When you can't see your belt buckle without holdin' up your gut... it's time to get your ass in shape."

So Jeff my friend... I'm nowhere near as muscular as you are... but I went through the same shit every year... :)

Gary

Back