Lightning Protection

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 7K
M

Mr. Sir

Here's a few pics of a lightning protection system I installed in a large live oak. The tree is 52" DBH, 70' tall with a 60' spread. There are two main downleads, one on each side of the trunk, extending from the tops of the two largest stems down to two separate 10' ground rods about 30' from the trunk. Each main downlead also has two secondary downleads to cover the rest of the canopy. There is a jumper wire just above grade level on the trunk to connect the two downleads so that the whole system is connected to both grounds.

I was able to reach most of it with the bucket, but had to climb out to get the very tops and ends of leads. Total time on the job was just over 3 hours.

Has anyone else done this kind of work?

Attachments

• HPIM0888.JPG
    HPIM0888.JPG
    923.4 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0889.JPG
    HPIM0889.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0887.JPG
    HPIM0887.JPG
  • HPIM0885.JPG
    HPIM0885.JPG
  • HPIM0886.JPG
    HPIM0886.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0893.JPG
    HPIM0893.JPG
    985.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It may have grown a bit since you've been here. :/:

I did it climbing a couple times and hated it. The only thing worse than that is climbing a tree with LP in it - a most royal PITA.

I did it climbing a couple times and hated it. The only thing worse than that is climbing a tree with LP in it - a most royal PITA.

I don't mind doing LP systems, it's a nice change every once in a while.

Climbing a tree with Xmas lights all in it is pretty sucky too.

I wonder if you could put some flash bulbs on the line to add to the show if it ever gets hit?

I think the systems deter a lightning strike D.

I am not Mr. Scientist but how is that possible? I would think it just gives the lightening an easier path to ground than the cambium of the tree. How would that deter lightening strikes?

The bolt of lightning or the tree?

Lightning in a bottle. It has to come from somewhere.

Personally, I'd burry my dead pets at the base of that tree to see if the power of lightning could reanimate their dead flesh.

Not a bad idea. Although I'd hate to see ole Gunth back as a zombie.:O

Attachments

• gunthy.JPG
    gunthy.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 50
So he'd need to eat the brains of some school age kids making out up on the ridge every now and again, he'd still be your loyal companion and isn't that what really matters?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memo from a spelling Nazi

For the record, "lightning" does NOT have an "e" in it. :what:

:D

Back