In the stone age??

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 9K
S

sytherstrike

Hi all, I thought I'd introduce myself by showing my gear, and telling a little about myself at the same time. First of all, Ive been doing tree work for three years and climbing for about 2. I live in Flint, Mi and started off in a two man boom lift, usually I would grab the branches the other guy would cut and I'd throw it as far as I could. After that I met a good climber, I knew he was good because he made it look easy, and learned everything I could from him. I've never climbed with a lanyard that had a micro descender or used a slit tail false crotch rigging or ever seen a climber in Michigan that has, thus my "In the stone age??" title. For my climb line I've always just done a two half hitches and tided the end with a taunt line, I tried the Blakes hitch twice and had a close call once so I prefer the taunt line. Here is a picture of my gear:
scaled.php

I have a weaver belt that has been cut and restitched because I got fat over the summer. I have bashlin aluminum pole gaffs, thats right pole gaffs, we have alot of dead ash trees around here and the shorter spikes seem to be easier to shimmy up them, I plan on buying some longer spikes once I can afford it. That short rope with the hooks is used as a saw strap for big saws, also a buck strap extension for big trees and to stablize myself for cutting branches when I have to hang myself out from the tree and various other things. I have a very open mind, and enjoy climbing so I figured if I join the tree house and learned some things from you guys, and continue building up my gear, I'll become a more valuable employee and could start asking for more money to get better gear, thats the plan right now anyways. If anyone has any advice tips or tricks they'd be willing to share, I'm willing to listen.

Welcome!

I think its Tautline rather than Taunt line but you may have said it that way in jest. :)

Doesnt seem to be anything wrong with old school gear, if its in good shape and it works for you, go for it!

You are welcome here, young sir!

I expect one thing you could do to really upgrade your gear easily, fairly cheaply, and that you'll enjoy the benefits of on every climb right away would be to change over to a lanyard with a hitch tender. The style you have is about the most awkward to use that there is :).

Here's a pic for you to consider.

That's a distel hitch, but any one you like will do the job.

Attachments

• Dcp_0867.Jpg
    Dcp_0867.Jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Burnham, I have a few spare hooks that I'd be able to make something like that.

I wouldn't say you're in the Stone Age, you just have a very basic, limited setup. There is a lot more out there, it'll take time and money to put it together, like a hobby.

Hi Sytherstrike, and welcome.

Do you climb and prune live trees without your gaffs?

Or prefer removals as a specialty like me?

You certainly picked a helluva way to make a living!

jomoco

If you find those spur pads uncomfortable, this is a fine upgrade...and you can still call it old school if you like :).

Attachments

• pad.jpg
    pad.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 160
I usually do removals, once in a while I get a trim job. When I've done the trim jobs I just use the ol monkey fist to put my rope up in the tree and pull myself up. I like doing trees because of the work, do you know some people pay money each month to go to a gym, doing trees I get a good work out and get paid all at the same time, win win. Also thanks for all the welcomes.

Adding an auto-adjust slack tender to your tautline/blake's hitch is a labor saver on the ascents, though once working the tree most will take it off. Again, not very much moolah to put together.

Attachments

• Dcp_0865.Jpg
    Dcp_0865.Jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Dcp_0866.Jpg
    Dcp_0866.Jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to the TreeHouse. Good so see a new climber getting involved. Stick around awhile, we all have a boat load of tricks and stuff which can help you out, and we all like to share.

If you find those spur pads uncomfortable, this is a fine upgrade...and you can still call it old school if you like :).

I like the feel of my pads, they have the steel peice that wraps around, and I really like that they hold in place. I've tried on both a set of Kleins with the L pads and anouther set of bashlin with the h style pads. I didn't like either ones. The kleins moved around and dug in my leg, just not comfy. The bashlin's with h pads where comfy but felt bulky like I had leg weights on. I just need to buy the longer spikes and install them on mine. I've went up a whole bunch of ash trees no problem, a bean tree, a silver maple and a few others like that. The only time I had a problem was on a sugar maple. I was climbing up the wrong side, since there was a fence in the middle heres a picture of the tree:
scaled.php

Its still standing in my back yard. I just trimmed off a few branches so when we put our pool up its not going to drop dead branches in it like last year. This fall the trees coming down once my job starts to slow down. You can see the large brown spot, Thats where my spike slipped out, I was getting ready to walk around the tree and start going up it the right way. I caught myself and didn't have any other issues.

Burnham, I've used those same pads and they are much more comfortable than they look. Very similar to the caddy pads but without the bulk.

Welcome ss. If you want to learn other tricks and methods, then you're in a room full of guys who can show you. Although there's nothing wrong with old skool either. I climbed with an almost identical setup for 10-12 years before I bought my first computer and started hanging out on the earliest tree climber forums. I was one of the first 100 members over at Arboristsite and participated there for many years. Everything I've learned over and above a taut line hitch and running bowline was learned from other tree guys online. Over several years I went from ultra basic to ultra advanced with all the multi colored carabiners and ascenders, then back to a more basic but very modern setup that makes me as efficient as possible with the least amount of work.

Pull up a seat, grab a beer and kick your feet up. It's casual here and lots of good guys will talk your ear off about everything under the sun. And we may talk about tree work a little as well. ;)

Burnham, I've used those same pads and they are much more comfortable than they look. Very similar to the caddy pads but without the bulk.

I too spent some time in those Brian, and agree that they're not bad and are indeed superior to several other options...but I continue to find the caddies better yet. The size of the area of contact on my lower leg is just too small for optimal comfort.

It's all good...like saddles, it's quite a personal preference sort of thing...what works for me isn't sure to work for the next fella.

Even so, caddies are the best spur pad :D ;) 8).

Climb all day on stems like this...caddies, my friend.
:)

Attachments

• Dcp_0700.Jpg
    Dcp_0700.Jpg
    590 KB · Views: 16
  • Dscn0030.jpg
    Dscn0030.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 15
I too spent some time in those Brian, and agree that they're not bad and are indeed superior to several other options...but I continue to find the caddies better yet. The size of the area of contact on my lower leg is just too small for optimal comfort.

It's all good...like saddles, it's quite a personal preference sort of thing...what works for me isn't sure to work for the next fella.

Even so, caddies are the best spur pad :D ;) 8).

Yu know Burnham, what you say about force dispersion over a larger area adding to your comfort level is very true, and one of the reasons I wear carbon fiber Asterix motoX knee braces under my pants and in my wesco's.

Comfort and stability suits me just fine gaffing up or down my victims.

jomoco

Damn! GB sized trees! :)

I fear you overestimate these Douglas firs, Paul...they run about 100 feet shorter that Mr. Beranek's beauties; in the 225-250 foot range and DBH 45 to 60 inches, if I recall correctly.

Nonetheless, nice sized trees to climb, work in, and especially rappel out of :).

Welcome! Burnham is giving yuo excellent advice on basic changes to make things better. Occassionally , young climbers get the idea that Burnham is a god but he knows very well that he is but a man....we know that he is an exceptionally helpful, thoughtful and good man who knows the ins and outs of climbing gear about as well as anyone alive.

Back