Windsor Chain Query

18 stoner

But not stoned...
I have been offered some Windsor full skip chain for use on our 660's. The price sounds good enough, but have any of you guys had experience with windsor?

The main reason for wanting to put skip on the 36" bar is the slightly lacking oil pump on the 660. We only can get standard pumps here and a skip would hopefully keep a bit more chain speed and therefore oil better.

Also, is it viable to put full skip on a 30" bar of a stock 660, or is it better to stick to semi, bearing in mind our varying types of timber?

Shoot away:)

I always run full skip on larger bars, anyways. It actually cuts faster, since there's more room to get the chips out.

I haven't used Windsor chain extensively, but what I have used seemed pretty decent.

Windsor chain is decent. IMO it isn't quite as good as Stihl chain because it isn't prestretched like the Stihl chain, but it holds an edge well.

Windsor Chain is ,IMHO, the best bang for the buck!!!

I'm not a full time tree guy by any streatch but I've been using Windsor bars & chains for about 7 years now without complaint. I buy the chain in bulk and have a buddy (who knows what he's doing), build it to the size I need.

Sure there is a little streatch as Brian mentioned and something to keep in mind when using the longer bars, not a big deal though. The chain holds its edge better than most others I've found and I'll continue using the Windsor Brand until a better one comes along thats not over priced!

I too agree with a skip chain on the longer bars.

HC

I wonder how they pre-stretch chain?

On the speed thing, wouldn't the better chip clearance with skip, be somewhat offset by a smoother cut with full comp?

They are owned by Blount INC. which owes Oregon, if you can get it for a good price go for it. The EPA has their fingers in the saw industry, they have mandated standards as to how much oil a saw can pump. As stated before semi skip and full skip chains are recommended for bars over 30" and longer.

Full skip on every bar over 24 inches. It cuts as fast or faster, clears chips better and you save filing time. Windsor is fine, I wouldn't by-pass other brands in search of it but if the price is good you'l find it little different from Oregon. Actually long ago I found it little different, It is quite possible now that there is NO difference since they are owned by the same parent company.

Basic agreement on the full skip...it's all I run, even down to 20 inch bars.

Windsor chain has a good rep around the PNW, to the best of my knowlege, though not as good as Stihl. I've run some in the past, but not for a pretty long time. If the price is tempting, I'd not turn it down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many thanks for all the replies:)

The main thoughts between different size bars, is i am looking for a high chain speed on a 36" bar due to, (as Al says) a slight lacking of oil, and Pete McTree is looking for chain on a 30" bar on his (just cos hes a gear junkie:P)

As some of you may know at this side of the pond, we seem to struggle to find any form of skip, or semi at all, so finding this is very tempting. Still cannot understand why, it seems to make perfect sense, but Oregon and Stihl just dont push it as an option.

Having been offered this chain it sounds like a good buy then, goin on what all you lot seem to think. The price i have been quoted is £54 for 3 loops of 3/8" for 36" bar. Roughly $18 per loop at todays exchange rate! At the moment that is around two thirds the price of full comp oregon.

Guess i shall put an order in then8)

There's probably a way to pep up those oilers .I threatened to delve into the problem but haven't as yet .

I personally have never seen the higher volume oiler to compare what the diff would be but I'm sure somebody has .

Afterthought .A good running 066 will handle full comp chain on a 36" with no problem .Tom's older 066 which was stolen could take that just a flying .

His brand new 660 is only a mere shadow to that older model .

The west coast 460s and 660s have higher output oilers. I had a thread going and the parts numbers are listed there. The oilers were $80-$90 each I think. Really helped out the two saws I fixed up.

:lol: Never take old Rick too seriously .:lol: A 36" bar on an 044 . They must be growing balsa in Penciltucky .

That aside I imagine it's just something simple to pep them up .

Im for real this time Al. Im working on my 3rd tri axle load of 20-40" across log-a-roos...

Hey Al, if old Danny played with that motor then it very well could pull a 36" bar. My old 371/372 that he built wears a 28" bar with an 8 pin sprocket and pulls stronger than my other ported 372s with 24" bars. In fact it isn't much slower than my brand new 395. Danny may be slow and unreliable but some of his saws are damn strong, the strongest I've ever run. I fully believe that if he ported three 044s that at least one of them could pull a 36" bar easily.

Back