Solo tree work/rigging

• Thread starter Graeme McMahon
  • Start date
  • Replies 37
  • Views 6K
G

Graeme McMahon

Worth a look. Lost a contract today to a worthy adversary. He had devised an ingenious arboricultural constant tension device which I intend to further refine.
It allowed him to complete the contract without having to employ an assistant.

Once set in position he could cut the top half of the tree or the entire tree without tending the line.

Graeme McMahon

Attachments

• Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I wish I had thought of it.

Graeme

It took me a minute to figure it out and then I seen the other leg of the line. Duh

I've suspended logs mid span in the rigging to pull trees, but that'll work too.

Often thought of a remote control winch to do the pulling, but never got around to doing that. Some body is bound to sooner than later though.

I used to have an electric truck winch which a put a wireless remote on. Couple of times I would chain it to a tree and hook a battery to it and could fell leaners by myself. Bottom line is though tree work aint a 1 man game IMO.

Treework isn't really a one man game. Neither is timber falling, yet that change came around in the late 70's. I can see in the near future many types of tree jobs going "singlejack". Hell I know of more than a few companies here that regularly send climbers out alone all day to climb.

Simple physics ,it should work .

I 've pulled wire my myself by hanging a 50 pound scale weight on the rope . Two man job that one didn't bother to show up on .

Probabley 25 years ago I tripped a rather large sugar maple by cabling off a D4 Cat near the bottom of a hill and let the machine free wheel the tree over after I cut it loose .My ex wife thought I was nuts but the tree went where I aimed it so it did work .

Yes, I wish I had thought of it.

Graeme

I've got a new pruning system based on that priniple of counterweighted assistance, but mine applies to the climber himself being counterweighted by a compressed nitrogen bottle and reel assembly.

This system uses an airhose inside your climbing line to power pnuematic loppers and chainsaws.

A 250 pound climber would use a 220 pound bottle and reel counterweight to give the climber an effective working weight of only 30 pounds, thus allowing him to ascend with arm power alone.

Kind of an Archimedes based arboreally balanced pruning tool.

It would still require a climber to ascend to the upper pulley placement point and setting the system up before having some push button low gravity fun.

What's old is new again?

I like your friends idea applied to a speed line too Graeme.

jomoco

Worth a look. Lost a contract today to a worthy adversary. He had devised an ingenious arboricultural constant tension device which I intend to further refine.
It allowed him to complete the contract without having to employ an assistant.

Once set in position he could cut the top half of the tree or the entire tree without tending the line.

Graeme McMahon

Does your friend use pincer tongs on his lowered pieces to facilitate automatic one man(climber) disconnection?

If not, how does he disco each lowered piece?

jomoco

1153084.jpg

Here's the real thing

Attachments

• raygun.png
    raygun.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is some more photos’ of the climber in action. You can see the small head of the tree in the foreground, felled with this method.

My wife had been asking me for a while to remove the trees. My 13 y o son decided to do the job as a surprise for her. He worked the system out on his own and almost had the task completed when I found him.

Felling the trunks took him a bit longer.

I wish my workers would show this much initiative...

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Image001(2).jpg
    Image001(2).jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Image003(2).jpg
    Image003(2).jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 24
Back