Big Cotton Wood.

treebogan

Treehouser
Here are some pictures of a big Cotton Wood we removed about a year ago.The Tree was old and had started to come apart at some large Branch unions,it had already shed a large limb and was situtated in a park with alot of targets around it.Path,Road etc.

Took a day and a half,no cleanup on our part.Brilliant!

Big thanks to my mate Chris for running the Ropes so professionally and to the groundstaff for helping keep the work area safe.

Attachments

• rifle 1 027.JPG
    rifle 1 027.JPG
    854.8 KB · Views: 30
  • rifle 1 034.JPG
    rifle 1 034.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • rifle 1 109.JPG
    rifle 1 109.JPG
    777.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
I should have put this in the work pictures thread,Sorry.

Heck, naw....a tree that big and gnarly deserves a thread of its own. I liked your fishpole rigging with the blocks on that limb...I assume that let's you spread out the load so that all the load is not on one point?

Plus, there didn't look to be any good rigging points above that limb.

Great pictures. :thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I liked your fishpole rigging with the blocks on that limb...I assume that let's you spread out the load so that all the load is not on one point?Great pictures. :thumbup:

Yes,thats why I used that technique.The limb went all the way to the other side of the road in the picture and touched the branches of the Trees there.

I had already removed a few branches from the Limb when this pic was taken

Attachments

• rifle 1 022.JPG
    rifle 1 022.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
That's a fact Jack .Those I've seen a plenty in the 5 -6 footer range around the middle .

Cut one in the spring time the water runs out of them like a river .

I use to set under one when out hunting small game, 4 of us could not hold hands and reach around it. That thing was freaking huge!

I've got a big fat one in the woods .Hundred footer ,double .The base is over 4 foot .

A couple of years ago I was going to slice a 60 plus incher .They had drug the damned thing through a stone alley though and had about a ton of gravel imbedded in it .--Not with my saw .

That's a nice tree and one I would consider a feather in my cap to take down.

From your pics it appears you did a fine job. I know getting out on the ends of those limbs can get hairy, but your TIP was good so it made it easier.

Great job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Jerry.

I used two Tie in points to get out on the end of that long limb.Only used that technique a handfullof times.Its nice to be double stable when lowering a limb off itself or way out there with a low anchor point.

I'm taking down a 6 footer tomorrow all by itself in a field,will bring camera

I love working with Cottonwoods. You did a nice job in that area you had to work with.

Here is a couple of photos of a beast of a tree in Loveland, CO. Let's see if Jason know where this one is located. :/:

Attachments

• G1 Phone April 092.JPG
    G1 Phone April 092.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 10
  • G1 Phone April 095.JPG
    G1 Phone April 095.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 9
Steve don't you live kind of close to the biggest trees in the world to not have seen a tree that big before?

Holy moly Steve, get yourself and your family to Sequoia National Park, lickety split! You're missing out!

EDIT: just checked the map, and it's only a 3 and half hour drive away from Ceres. Don't be a loser!

Back