Silver Maple Removal Vid

• Thread starter Nails
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 4K
N

Nails

Here's a Silver we slashed. We had a good drop zone to the one side, the rest was over the house and deck, but we had the chipper right there. The job took 6hrs. with the 3 of us, me, my brother, and dad. That's my bro climbing.

It was a beautiful day, 50 degrees in the spring sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWIABn28jjQ

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yWIABn28jjQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yWIABn28jjQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Cool stuff, nice saw work. Nice seeing razor sharp saws being used by folks who appreciate razor sharp saws.

Did the old lady insist on you leaving the 10' totem pole because she couldn't bear the thought of not seeing a tree trunk in that spot?

Nice vid, great tunes. Love the elderly lady and the little one's part in the film.

Typical in town silver maple .Grows about 10-15 feet of trunk then shoots out a lot of canopy .

Little did they know 60 or so years when planted that later these trees would provide the bread and butter for most northern tree trimmers .:lol:

That chipper is the spitting image of Toms Lindag duck and chuck .

Really nice work man. And great job with the video.Thats second to last cut looked likt it was gonna come back on the deck , Ouch , but it was camera angle.
Nice tunes , you got talent.

cool! i liked your use of tag line to prevent back swing. at 47 seconds i thought his flipline was gonna get cut:O twas just a branch that looked like it:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The homeowners are going to put birdhouses on it. It'll give them something to look at every morning and the woodpeckers a place to play. It will probably even shoot out a little.

The saws get the hand file so they stay on top of their game.

We put a custom shoot, tongue extension, battery box, gas tank, fenders, axle, and tires on that chipper. It has served us well. Most people around here want 3" and up for firewood anyway, so it's all we need.

We put a custom shoot, tongue extension, battery box, gas tank, fenders, axle, and tires on that chipper. It has served us well. Most people around here want 3" and up for firewood anyway, so it's all we need.
Toms Lindag actually does pretty good for a non self feeder . The load chuting was getting funky so he replaced it with a Morebark self feeder .

No doubt when he finds the time he'll likely repair it and use it for a back up .

With chippers it's not if they need repairs but rather when .

Toms Lindag actually does pretty good for a non self feeder . The load chuting was getting funky so he replaced it with a Morebark self feeder .

No doubt when he finds the time he'll likely repair it and use it for a back up .

With chippers it's not if they need repairs but rather when .

Right Al, they do take quite a beating.

Thanks for all of your kind responses, it's like family in here.

Very nice! It's refreshing to see a good team working together. It looks easy when everyone knows what they're doing.

Looked like ya had it all under control and got er done. I too was a little concerned about what looked like a lanyard on the other side of your felling cut. All together a good video:thumbup:

My only critique would be leaving the roping part until last, after cutting down what appeared to be all of your best rigging points. But it's hard to see the whole situation in pictures. Picking your rigging points is much easier when looking at it in person.

I was also thinking that Brian, and you are right, you really need to see the tree in person to make the call on the points. Camera angles never show the whole picture.

My guess is within two -three years that thing will have sprouted little limbs every where .You can't hardly kill the things .About like a weeping willow .

The problem with little old ladies wanting to hang birdhouses on dead tree stumps is that most birds will want to build their nests in living trees. People are just afraid to let go of a dead tree and want to keep the stump because they can't bear the thought of not having a tree in that spot. Then if you can convince them to completely remove the tree, they want a replacement tree planted in EXACTLY THE SAME SPOT!
:roll:

Nice roping work.
It looks like you could have pulled the whole tree over in one piece.
Any reason not to do so?

The video would have been not nearly as cool... and much shorter. :D

Back